Hi Marty,
I called my doctor for the diamox and she didn't want to prescribe it and said there's side effects and she needs me to come in first. I don't have time to go in for the appt. I am hiking on July 12th.
I only had 3 weeks to train but have been hiking (8-11 miles- twice a month), running one day a week (6 miles) and doing weight classes. So really working out 3-4 times a week. I am not an avid hiker but to prepare for Whitney because we were lucky to get the permits, we have done an 18 mile hike with 4,179 elevation gain, Cloud's Rest 9,965 starting at 8,000 elevation, Mt. Dana starting at 9,900 and went up to 12,300 and didn't summit because the trail was very steep the last 500 feet and we didn't have enough time. So tested for altitude sickness and was fine so far but very worried we didn't train long enough. I know altitude sickness is something I can't control and will have to find out as I go above 12,500 but my concern is we are coming one day before so not enough time to acclimate. Will see if we can leave two days before versus one day. Any advice? I will take it slow but would love to summit like everyone that hikes Whitney. Also understand not everyone makes it up and I might be that person but will give it my best.