So we're now about a month into the permit period, but I think only a few of those days so far have been completed booked. Has anyone attempted to reserve a permit yet for a hike the following day? The initial information that Steve C collected over the phone was intentionally vague, which I believe was intended to thwart any attempts for reservation holders to scalp their spots. A good read for those not familiar with the new "walk-in" system for this year:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/54890/No_Walk-Up_Permits_for_2019#Post54890

What I'm wondering now is if any new details have surfaced about the timing of when the next-day spots will be released online. It obviously needs to occur after the no-show deadline (11am?), but before the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center closes for the day (5pm). This is important information for our group because it'll dictate the time window when we want to be sure we are at a spot with good cell phone coverage. We'll be in the Horseshoe Meadows area starting two nights before our hopeful Whitney summit date, so that means we'll probably need to drive out to at least Walt's Point (the hang glider launch area on Horseshoe Meadows Rd) for a few hours while we hover over our devices. Thanks in advance!