5 of us went up Friday the 14, and 3 made it. For 2 of us, it was our 4th year in a row making the summit in one day. We always choose mid June for ease of attaining permits, less crowd and the challenge. I will say this year was the most challenging of all 4 years for us for sure. Dont let that discourage you, just know it's a beast this year.

Snow starts before Outpost Camp. We started at 1am knowing the snow was heavier this year. We also lost the trail several times. I use an app called GAIA. It's a topographic map. I download the area on the map prior and while in "airplane" I can still track our location versus the trail. In plenty of areas before Outpost Camp you'll see the tracks through snow banks cutting off many switchbacks. We did this many times, but unless you have this, or a similar app or GPS be very cautious. We ran into a guy at 7pm who was starting up on Thursday as we were coming down from a warmup hike. As we were descending at 12pm Friday from the summit we ran into him again. He was still ascending. He got lost for hours in the night. So, very easy to lose ones self out there.

The area around Mirror Lake is marshy and easy to get lost in as well. Once above Mirror Lake you're in the snow fields the rest of the way. You skip all the switchbacks and the rock steps. You're just on a path straight to the chute. We got there at 630 am and started ascending the chute. We were to the top before 8am, but even by then the top of the chute was extremely difficult. We were on all 4 almost, sinking our axes all the way in to get a hold as the snow by then was extremely soft. We use, and in all our years used microspikes.

Crest Trail had the most snow I've seen on it, and was precarious in spots, but nothing to be worried about. Kept on our microspikes the whole way to the summit. Just take your time in done areas, watch your footing and make sure your solid before transferring weight.

Submitted at 1030 am. In all, 3 out of 5 made it. 1 guy had a major chest congestion and peeled off around Mirror Lake. The other guy started feeling the altitude part way up the chute and called it. I commend both of them for knowing that the mountain is always there.

Glisading down is a breeze. Doesnt mean it's not dangerous, or should be taken lightly, but the snow is so soft in the late morning, early afternoon that you dont need to be too anxious about losing control. About half way down you'll naturally slow down because it's pure slush. I use the shovel side of my ace to maintain speed, but truth be told I just jump into the path and sit back and enjoy the ride. 5 minutes later you're down and soaked, but so worth it!

Anyways, I know it's long winded, but after 4 successful summits in 4 years, I wanted to share this years experience.