I usually check GPS frequently to make sure I am on the right track. But, during the Whitney hike, due to "time pressure," I did not check GPS until I was cliffed-out. After I found I was left by the group at Trail Crest, I asked other hikers the direction to Whitney on the way. A couple of the hikers whom I talked with told me "Go up 300 ft above from here." That's why I went up on the boulders and cliffed-out. Because I was in a hurry, they might suggest it because they thought it would be a short-cut.

When I checked hiking accidents in that area, I found an interesting thing about fatal accidents at Mt Langley which can be applied to all other mountains. All of the fatal accidents at Langley which I reviewed had a common story - A hiker was separated from a group and fall and died during descending from Old Army Pass. They were experienced hikers but slower than others in the group.

This is not just a matter of hiking alone. A hiker who is "forced" to hike faster pace than usual may use too much stamina and may not have enough time to check direction, eat snacks, drink water, etc. This kind of situation can cause serious problems, in addition to being separated from a group.