Originally Posted By: Steve C
Maybe next time try sleeping at Horseshoe Meadows one night and then at Whitney Portal the next. First night camping out is always tough for me -- I take benadryl to help me sleep on that first night.

Honestly, I don’t think this sleeplessness was caused by the first night camping. Rather, I think it was more of an issue of trying to force upon yourself an earlier sleep schedule that is not normal for you. This never works particularly well, especially if you are already nervous about the climb. Honestly, I see little reason to start climbing Whitney at 2:00AM, especially if you are in the clear on weather (ie the weather is not in an active monsoon pattern). I know that what I am about to say goes against what EVERYBODY says and does. But maybe starting your hike later next time might work better for you. I myself have NEVER gotten anything close to an alpine start on Whitney. Hell, I have never started before 8:00AM. And I have never turned into a pumpkin as a result. But I CAN tell you that I always felt well-rested and enjoyed an uncrowded summit.

Last edited by StorminMatt; 09/03/19 03:19 AM.