[rant start]
Wow...did they just unilaterally decide these rules without any public comment? I would have thought I'd have heard if there was some discussion about these major changes.

Taken literally, this means no resupply at Reds Meadow or Onion Valley since both would require you to leave the 'trail system'. Even VVM and MTR could be considered off the 'trail system'.

Of course, I'm not sure how they can prove you left the trail system unless they happen to catch you in the Onion Valley parking lot.

And getting an Onion Valley to Whitney Exit permit isn't impossible, but it'll be even harder if JMT hikers are trying to get them now.
And I know I won't be able to be sure what day I'll need to resupply at Onion Valley to get a new permit ahead of time.

They don't let you cache food in the bear lockers on the trail system, so how do they expect you to resupply?

The changes almost seem designed to force you to use the expensive resupply services that pack in your resupply packages. Does someone at Inyo have stock in or own those companies?

[/rant over]

Originally Posted By: Steve C
There was some reference on the FB JMT group attributing the change to some scene in Bishop: "few abusers have ruined it for the rest of us". I assume this means dirtbag hikers and homeless hanging around Bishop.

If that's the case, they should make rules about the trailheads around Bishop. JMT and PCT hikers don't usually go out to Bishop anyway, do they?

Plus I doubt dirtbag hikers and homeless even bother with permits.