My buddy and I are going for it via Mountaineer's Route during the nice weather window. I was up there in early April last year during winter conditions and took the regular route to summit. Was ok (weather got dicey during a squall, but otherwise ideal). Has anyone been up past Whitney Portal recently?

Intel from the rangers is that the road is closed all the way down to that first parking lot, but snow doesn't start until just before Whitney Portal. Coincidentally, I was just at a local water board meeting at my county and they gave a drought forecast for flood planning. California snow-pack is at 38% of the April average (when snowpack is officially measured by the state) as of this week, with 58% of total snow falling by this time of year on average. So unless there's a lot of storms over next two months we're heading for another dry year, and a minor drought in Northern part of state.

Sort of tempted to rent a scooter or something and ride it up the road to save time and energy.

Anyway, pardon my digression. If anyone has some recent beta on conditions that they'd like to share it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by 123Zero; 02/11/20 09:23 PM.