Originally Posted by 55inthefastlane
3) Whitney Portal gate is apparently still closed as of Jun 8 but should open any day now, maybe as soon as Jun 12.
4) Snow line is at ~9500ft, apparently. Although I am skeptical of this, b/c it was at 10500ft on Dana 2 weeks ago.

I should add that this information does not pertain to the Whitney Tourist Route permit lottery. I have no idea what's going on with that.
Thanks for the info. Regarding #3, if the gate does open on June 12, does that imply that you can legally summit Whitney from the portal on or after that date if you already have a permit? Here's what one person posted a few hours ago on the Inyo NF Facebook page:

"I have a day permit to hike Whitney next Wednesday, 6/17. Just Got a confirmation email this morning for the reservation. Have NOT received a cancellation notice. Does that mean we are good to hike Whitney next week?!"

Also, #4 is generally false except for very limited areas like the north slopes of some peaks. I've been up Horseshoe Meadows road over 2 weeks ago (~10,000 ft), and there was no snow in sight at that elevation. Judging by this: https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/ and the reports of people going up White Mountain, I'd guess that the snow level is around 12,000 ft now.