Scheduled to start the high Sierra trail (eastbound) this Thursday, a little uneasy about reaching uncertain trail conditions deep in my hike due to the recent earthquake. Personally have the time off work and the stamina/pack space to accommodate a yo yo back to crescent meadows, though others in my party are more constrained. Would love to hear any updates on conditions or general advice folks may have on the situation...Everyone would love to bag Whitney and hopefully enjoy a meal at the portal store, but my companions can’t afford to find out it’s not doable from the ranger at Crabtree meadow.

Also, due to the recent quake I’m leaning towards leaving my car at lone pine instead of WP...was thinking of stashing a beater bike up at the trailhead to ride down. Never actually been past the lower gate at WP, wondering if there’s a rack or someplace I could lock it for a week, or whether a bike locked next to a random tree might be cut/trashed by the forest service.

Honestly seems like it would be a kickass way to end a tough thru hike, but finding it gone and having to walk the road to lone pine would be pretty disappointing