I just got through to the Interagency Visitors Center & my permit has been emailed to me. Here's what worked... I called 760-876-6200 during regular business hours on a weekday. The employee who answered the phone was very polite and helpful & physically works at the Interagency Visitor Center. He asked me about my hike plans, bear vault, wag bags and reminded me not to try sliding down the mountain as a shortcut (apparently they've had some recent fatalities from people doing this).

He said that if you are trying to get a Whitney Permit, please call the Interagency Visitor Center at 760-876-6222. Note that this is NOT the number I called, so I recommend trying this x6222 number first.

As of 7/2, I was told that microspikes and waterproof boots are a good idea given the current trail conditions. He also mentioned that it has been warm and the snow is melting pretty fast. I asked about ice axes & was told that those are probably not necessary for a typical summit hike up the main trail from Whitney Portal. I was also told that they are not issuing tags for each party member, so the leader is responsible for printing out the emailed permit, signing it and keeping in on them at all times. So there is no need to give copies to other members of the party. Wag bags are reportedly available at the trailhead and also at the Interagency Visitors Center.

Please note... this is from a guy who works at the Interagency Visitor Center, not first hand experience... but I'm using his advice to plan my round trip summit hike via Whitney Portal on 7/11 - 7/13.

Be safe & happy trails!

Jason