Hello forum. First post and for starters thanks for all the awesome information. I have tried to find a fairly recent topic pertaining to my specific questions and really didn't see the answers I was seeking so I am starting this thread. Sorry if this is a repetitive question.
Anyway, I am doing a 1 day Summit attempt August 3 and I would like to sleep at least a few nights above 10,000 feet. I will be flying into Las Vegas , renting a minivan and driving to Lone pine a week before. Will stay a few nights in Lone pine and do some day hikes around the area. However, I am somewhat prone to altitude sickness if I don't take the time to acclimatize, so I would like to sleep in my minivan 2 or even better 3 nights above 10,000 feet either at Cottonwood pass, Horseshoe meadows, or the whitney portal. ( any recommendations would be most appreciated ) or a combination of any of the available local spots

Is this allowed? I've been looking at campground permits and have seen people reference sleeping in vehicles but I haven't seen anything that either allows or prohibits it.
Is a permit required or anything else that is required to park in the lots at these campgrounds / trailheads and just sleep in the vehicle.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Will C; 03/24/21 08:52 PM.

Mt Fuji 2019. Mt Kilimanjaro 2020. Mt Whitney 2021