JohnS, Diamox (Acetazolamide) is a prescription-only drug, so you need to ask a doctor. I only take half a 125 mg tablet twice a day, starting the morning I drive over to Horseshoe Meadows. It is a diuretic, so makes you pee a bit more at first. It is shown to give you a slight advantage on acclimatization. Do not take more than 125 mg 2x per day--causes your fingers to feel like they are buzzing/tingling sometimes, and the lowest dose is supposed to work just as well as the overdoses sometimes prescribed for glaucoma users.

If you are renting a car, drive up to Horseshoe Meadows -- you start up the Whitney Portal road, then make a left turn several miles west of town. Takes 45 minutes, but driving to 10,000 elevation is an awesome experience. If you can pack enough gear, you can camp one night up there -- all sites are one-nighters, and some are always available. HIke to Trail Peak, 11,600' --it's a two-mile hike with a little easy cross-country. I think you can see both the Mt Whitney and Mt Langley summits from its summit.