As a 62 year old first timer, I am excited to cross this experience off my bucket list. I plan on staying 1 night at Trail Camp and summiting on the 25th of July. I have several questions that I can't seem to find answers to.
1. I have a Gossamer Gear "The One" tent which weights 1 lb. It requires staking and I can't seem to find out if the ground at Trail Camp is soft enough for or even capable of holding stakes. I would really appreciate any advice on this issue. I am assuming that if the answer is "no" that rocks are available to secure the tent.
2. I have read on several posts that it can be and usually is very windy at Trail Camp. Please confirm.
3. I am in excellent condition but I do want to ask what the average hiking time is to summit from Trail Camp in late July? I know that this can be hugely variable but I would like to know what kind of start time to plan for.
4. Because of the varmit population, I am planning on striking my tent and packing all of my gear up before summitting. I plan to leave my gear in place except for what I need to summit. Then packing it up into my pack when I get back to TC and proceeding to descend to The Portal. Is this advisable as a strategy?

Any help from the grizzled veterans would be appreciated by this first timer!