Met up with fellow Whitneyzone forum contributor Aadi. This was my first long Sierra day for 2022 and it was a beast. We started from the Birch Lake TH around 6am and made our way through defunct cattle pastures, stepping through petrified cattle dung and incessantly checking my gpx. Once past the pastures, the trail up to Birch Lake is rather straightforward and fully exposed with no tree cover. We took a detour to mostly avoid the bushwhacking getting up to the lake. Once we reached the lake (which was fully frozen) we headed to the far end and made our way up some talus which included a short 3rd class section. Then it was mostly low grade mixed terrain to a steeper snow filled ramp that topped out at around 40-45 degrees (as confirmed by Caltopo). As we were ascending the steepest part of the ramp (which was super soft and doable without crampons), we were passed by a solo hiker (who happened to beat us to the first summit in 2022 and first summit since September). After attaining the dry rocks, it was then a long slog across an upward sloping plateau to the summit. The summit afforded expansive views of the Palisades crest as well as Birch, Ed Lane Peak, Split Mountain, etc. After spending about 15-20 minutes on the summit, we made our way down. We glissaded down the couloir and took advantage of the soft snow to get down more quickly. Somehow we got a bit lost but regained the trail a few hundred feet lower. We summited around 2pm and got back to the car around 730pm.

Sunrise over the Inyo mountains
[Linked Image]

Birch, Ed Lane and The Thumb
[Linked Image]

The Thumb comes into view (with ramp to summit plateau on the left)
[Linked Image]

Aadi finishes the bushwhacking
[Linked Image]

Frozen Birch Lake sits beneath the 13ers
[Linked Image]

Aadi makes his way through some mild 3rd class terrain
[Linked Image]

Ramp to summit plateau
[Linked Image]

The interminable summit plateau
[Linked Image]

Aadi signs the register
[Linked Image]

Me with the Palisades crest (nerdy hat fail plus poor look with gloves tucked underneath my jacket)
[Linked Image]

Disappointment Peak, Middle Palisade and Norman Clyde
[Linked Image]

Aadi on way down
[Linked Image]

Me about to descend the ramp
[Linked Image]

Post-glissading
[Linked Image]

Aadi negotiates the downclimb
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BFR; 05/16/22 03:17 PM.