Well,.... I have found that people that have a "pet", - showing them affection / petting them occasionally, feed them every once in a while, and take selfies to show their friends on social media are VERY DIFFERENT than an individual that actually have an animal for the right reasons. Responsible animal owners treat their animals as if they are family. Part of the responsibility is ensuring the animal (in this case dogs) are properly trained and obedient in the environment in which their person takes them. A lot of people that complain about animals, don't care for animals for whatever reason--and that is fine! If a person's animal is properly trained and behaved, it should not be a factor out there. The service dog subject / argument is getting so very lame lately and is being abused by irresponsible people.
I find I run into more rude, disgusting people on the trail than animals. I am bias, as I have had a four -legged creature in my life since childhood. I am retired now-and still have a four-legged creature in my life. I agree soooo much with Jaym's post. Half the people I ask to go hit the trail make excuses not to go. Seems to be lately, (more and more people- NOT EVERYBODY) but more and more people on the trail are there for the wrong reasons. Go hike a couple hundred feet with their "pet" to take a selfie. I'd rather take my four-legged trustworthy partner who is willing to go no matter the circumstance and will behave better than a lot of the irresponsible and disgusting human beings that are out there.

Happy hiking!

Last edited by DanoH; 02/23/23 03:19 PM.