Originally Posted By: CincyHiker
I'm planning my first Whitney hike on 9/6/10. My biggest worry is altitude as I live in Ohio and cannot plan for it. We only have 3 days and are going to bring Diamox...so we will see. Question: should we use one trek pole or two? I've been training with one but I am not sure. I've read a Whitney book and read the trip stories here a lot. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Day or overnight hike? Since you are hiking during the Labor Day weekend, I am guessing a day hike.

If you have the cardio and the leg strength, then I do not foresee any problems on the trail. I have seen "sea level devils" and good ole boys from Iowa make it to the top because of their conditioning.

Three very important things:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
Pace, pace, pace
Nibble, nibble, nibble

Trekking poles: As Bulldog34 mentioned, trekking poles are an asset on the trail IF THEY ARE USED PROPERLY! Having a "death grip" on the poles will increase arm fatigue. There is a DVD. Your local library may have one or you can go online or purchase it. When I first saw the DVD I said "Yeah, right." Then I applied those techniques. Wow.

Diamox: I don't use it. I have my reasons. There are others who attest to their benefits. I respect their opinions, but I opt to never take it. If the mountain doesn't want me at the top, then I guess I head back down. Next time? Through better preparation, you're (the mountain) mine. Another notch in my trekking pole.

There will be others providing information on their experiences. Take in what you can.

The Orientation Notes and wbtravis' website are MUST READS! If you are flying from the holy state of Ohio in the holy city of Cincinnati, print out both for you to read! Also, print out the "what can go wrong," too. Read the good and the bad. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Camping or staying in town: Doug's Hostel is the best bang for the buck. Don't know if you have made reservations for camping or plan on a walk-in. If camping, you can take a shower at the Hostel for $5.00. Get your $5 worth! You might want to bring soap and shampoo just in case. They have plenty of towels.

There will be others on the trail. Some experienced, others not so experienced. Make friends. Find a group that are going at your pace. Something about the MWT that brings out the good in people.

Food: If you are on a "special" diet, forget it! Let it all out. You gotta have a pancake or burger and fries at the Portal. Also, the Alabama Hills Cafe has excellent food. There are also two espresso places with wifi. Subway. Seasons has excellent food in a semi-formal atmosphere. The Pizza Factory! These are my preferred choices. Your choices may differ. There is a McDonald's. Refer to the Orientation notes about the layout of Lone Pine.

Incidentals: Stop by the Museum if you can. That is where the webcam is! As for the Williamson webcam, that is a little farther north on the 395 in the holy city of Independence.

Camera: Don't forget that camera! Be sure to bring along an extra chip and extra battery. Store that extra battery in a warm place as to not drain the power. Take plenty of pictures for all of us to see. ESPECiALLY THE SUMMIT REGISTER! Be sure to take a picture of the "Starbucks" at the summit. It is NOT a mirage! Then there is the crowd fave of the sign on that rock. Also, the 5 or so summit markers. Too bad the toilet is gone. If you have problems posting your pictures of you on the summit (hint), Steve C or anyone else with experience on this (but not me) will be more than willing to help.

Oh, and when you are in the holy city of Lone Pine, relishing your accomplishment, you can look west towards "Mecca West" and gloat, "I was up there." Yeah, it is a good feeling down deep inside.

Hope this helps.

Most importantly...

Have fun.

Journey well...