Congrats on the summit. I'm sure it won't be your last time.

A thought about rabbit being worn out at Outpost Camp. I think something that isn't mentioned a lot is the energy it takes out of you before the hike from the excitement and anticipation. It's tough to control "excitement", but I believe that first timers (and even myself with a couple of Summits and some short trips up Whitney) have to figure a way to get control of the pre-hike jitters. At the beginning of the hike from the Portal to at least Lone Pine Lake, first timers should use it as a gauge to see how they feel, how well they are doing and conserve the energy needed for the rest of the hike.

It's just a thought, but I know for me, the excitement of starting the hike can wear on me a bit. I was lucky enough to learn that years ago when I was at the starting line of marathons and other runs, so I always take a nice rest, even if I can't sleep before the hike and I take the first 3 miles fairly slow.

I know you have her pack at 35 pounds, and that is a bit much, but not out of line for a lot of hikers. I know mine weighed 32 pounds and I am learning how to make it weigh less, but I think that comes from mistakes and experience.

Congratulations again to all three of you!!! What a great experience and something I know a lot of us were looking forward to after your previous posts.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier