Hmmmm. I'm not sure what the current sign says, though photos of it were taken on the last search. I wouldn't be a fan of a large and separate warning sign. At most, another sign attached to the current post and maybe more clearly saying "Whitney Portal, Trail Camp" or something; for the west maybe Crabtree Ranger Station or JMT North.

It's not a matter of money -- even NPS can afford a new sign. It's a matter of convincing people there's a problem and that a sign is the solution or that improving existing signs would help. Anyone have a photo of the current sign at the JMT/Whitney summit/Whitney Portal junction? Seems like it already says something like Whitney Portal, doesn't it?

As for a warning sign on the east side when there's snow. That's definitely a dangerous point at the top of that chute. A number of accidents & fatalities. That's USFS and would be their decision.

All that said, I definitely lean more towards the situational awareness, hiker responsibility side of the scale. For every accident, there's the feeling that "if we only had a sign" it would solve the problem. Maybe a sign at each trailhead: "Don't do stupid things" might cover it... .

Last, I'm happy to join in discussions and offer keen observations bolstered by several glasses of wine, but I also want to point out that I'm a poor-but-honest seasonal backcountry ranger and have no management responsibilities whatsoever, though I can at least steer people to who to talk to etc.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.