Originally Posted By: KevinR
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
... The monthly $25 premium fee alone would be sufficient to rent and use a modern sat phone for a full month each year. No thanks - and I have no need for email on Muir Pass.

I'd like to know which site rents a sat phone for $25/month with usage fees. I needed to rent a sat phone this summer for two months, and checked sites, including the one H_langford recommends, and found that when all was said and done, it would be at a minimum of $600 for the period, way more than our budget. This was for the most basic phone available, with a minimum purchase of airtime.

Would you care to share where a phone can be rented for $25 a month? Would like to take advantage of it next summer as my group will be returning to the same location (B.C.).

Thanks.

nobody rents a sat phone for $25 per month. I am just doing the math, given that ATT forces you to pay that rate over the duration of the contract, you are looking at $300/year, even if you only need the sat capability for one month.

$140 and up per month is where the costs for a sat rental are right now - example

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/iridium/iridium-satellite-phone-rental.php