I say I am one for one on successful attempts. I summited on my 1st attempt in 2007 age 54. My second time up was Labor day weekend 2008. I successfully made Trail Camp in 6 hours was there by 10:00 AM.I should have gone on up to summit and back to Trail Camp as I felt great and strong.I was in excellent shape.I decided to stick with my plan to overnight at TC and summit the next AM and then hike out.The winds started picking up Saturday night. I couldn't sleep a wink due to winds blowing my shelter down and the altitude.By 4 AM the winds were blowing 60-70 MPH. I packed up and headed down to the portal. So by my reasoning it wasn't a failed attempt. I chose not to hike in 70-90 MPH winds. I probably could have done it as some did but that was not my idea of a good or safe time.
What do you guys think? What constitutes a failed attempt? I think if I had started up the swichbacks and physically couldn't make it due to AMS or fatique that would count as a failed attempt. Choosing not to go because of high velocity winds i don't considered a failed atempt cuz I know i could have made if I had chosen to go.