This is convoluted, but I'm posting it for a couple of reasons: (1) I think this audience is curious about what goes on when we search for a lost or missing person, and (2) there is sometimes puzzlement on why we usually don't welcome outsiders' offers to help on a search. On (2), the reasons are two-fold: first is that it is difficult to integrate well-meaning but untrained people into an overall search strategy, and second is the possibility that valuable clues can be innocently destroyed.

The story starts a few weeks ago, on an attempt of Mt. Gould on a smokey day. As my friends and I were nearing Kearsarge Pass, I told them of a search in 1986 for a missing man in the area. In spite of an intense effort, nothing was found. Four months later someone came upon a dessicated arm and hand laying on the trail just below Kearsarge Pass. It was surmised that our victim had perhaps suffered a heart attack, and his remains were scattered by animals. A bear was implicated, although I don't recall why. The case was considered closed.

In 1990, descending from a climb of Nameless Pyramid, I discovered several other bones which appeared to be human. I left them there and reported the find to the sheriff, offering to go back to search for more. But the sheriff was not interested in expending resources when nothing of substance could come of it.

On the hike of a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that it might be a useful training exercise for CLMRG to go up and conduct a search for other remains. More bones, clothing, and especially personal effects like a wallet, could tell a story. So we will probably do that soon.

You can read about the initial search here: Operation 86-17; see page 6. There are a few Mt. Whitney operations in that issue that may also be interesting reading.