Hey all,

Thanks for excellent recent advice on contacting the USDA regarding permits. It looks like we will need to submit a Special Use Application (FS-2700--3c). To do so we need to make some logistics decisions pretty quickly though. Once again I'm hoping to impose on you to provide some insight and recommendations.

Our Trip Plan is being developed and will institute parameters for two Teams to ascend Mt Whitney via the Main Trail. While an out and back 22 mile evolution (Trailhead to summit and return) is more of a challenge, in the spirit of the event (9-11 Memorial) we are considering approaching this in two Phases. Phase I would be a competitively timed summit, and Phase II we would be a return together as a group. This would allow the Firefighters to challenge themselves as well as a relaxed time of reflection and fellowship at the summit and on the return leg. The basic parameters we are working with are:
- A Summit Team will consist of (4) Firefighters
- Teams will carry a prescribed load
- Time begins when last Firefighter crosses the Start
- Time ends when last Firefighter touches the Summit Marker.
- A Support Team will consist of a Firefighter & Official.
- The Summit Lead Team will consist of a Firefighter & Official
- Summit Teams are "unsupported" unless a medical or other emergency requires Support Team to assist.
- Total party = 14 on Mountain (2 at Base Camp)

The model we are using for planning purposes consists of:

ADMIN GROUP:
- Base Camp Manager
- Medical Director
(Note: Admin Group remains at Base)

SUMMIT GROUP
- Summit Team A (4 Firefighters)
- Support Team A (Paramedic & Official)
- Summit Team B (4 Firefighters)
- Support Team B (Paramedic & Official)
- Summit Leader (Summit Leader & Chief Official)

I first would like your feedback on the format and parameters we are considering...

What do you think of the proposed format?

How would you do this differently, and why?

The second part we need advice with is in logistics: We plan to travel for an advanced party to arrive in Lone Pine three days in advance to prepare for the Summit and Support Teams to arrive and they will need some basic functions such as a small meeting space, cell service and internet capability, etc. My question here would be...

Where would you suggest our Administrative and Support Staff to stay in the Lone Pine area?

We plan for the Firefighters who comprise the Summit and Support Teams to arrive two days in advance for final preparations. We want them to be comfortable and enjoy their experience while gaining the most benefit of acclimation. While it's up to the discretion of the participating Team Leaders...

How would recommend to the participants to structure their acclimation days for most physiological benefit and performance assessment (e.g. Training Runs, Hikes...)?

Would you have participants stay in lodging in Lone Pine or camp at the Trailhead, and why?

If you chose lodging... Which of the Lone Pine's lodging options (Hotel/Motel/Inn) would you recommend?

If you chose to camp... Which of the Park's overnight facilities would you recommend?

Regardless of whether we stay in Lone Pine or camp...

What parking restrictions should we anticipate and can you offer any mitigation strategies?

As we plan this we are keeping in mind the effect our group may have on the area during that time of the season. It is our intent to not impact the wilderness area or other users. We are a 'Green Organization' and are cognizant and sensitive to others but beyond that...

Do you have any recommended strategies minimize impact on the area, or 'pet peeves' that we can enforce to ensure we are good stewards of the Mountains resources and positive contributors to the Park?

I know the above is much to digest and consider and thank you in advance for any advice and assistance.

Have a great day!

Woody