Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
2 members (VA Traveler, 1 invisible), 239 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tahoe Rim Trail
#12038 03/24/11 05:28 PM
R
rpm Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I know this is a Mt. Whitney page, but I'm sure some of you could help me find information on the Tahoe Rim Trail. I found the webpage with information, but does anybody here have first hand account?

I was thinking about backpacking the section from Echo Summit to Barker Pass (about 35 miles). I'm planning on doing it in mid September, and give myself 4 days. My primary concern is trail quotas and permits. Do they issue permits for that entire section, or do you have to get permits for seperate trails that make up that entire section? I hoping they have a "Tahoe Rim Trail" permit. Similar to Mt. Whitney trail, but not as difficult to get.

Is there a shuttle service that will give you a ride back to your starting location, or coordinate with two vehicles?

Any other advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Tahoe Rim Trail
rpm #12044 03/24/11 07:20 PM
Bee Offline
I have hiked on the Tahoe Rim Trail, and according to this site and my experience:

1. Permits on the Tahoe Rim Trail are required to enter the Desolation Wilderness (5. Echo Lakes to Barker Pass section) for overnight use. There is no fee for day use. No permit is required for overnight camping on the remaining trail.

2. Permits are also required for camp stoves and campfires on all portions of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

I believe that the rest of the trail outside of Desolation Wilderness is just National Forest, which means almost anything goes...

BTW, everyone here hikes/backpacks everywhere, so it's actually a nice change-up to talk about other places, too.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Link Copied to Clipboard