Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Training advice
Susykat #12727 04/12/11 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Susykat
...some spots on the Main Trail between Trailside Meadow and Trail Camp...

I believe SaltyDog is referring to that section of the trail (while going up) near or as you cross the last "stream crossing." If there is any snow or ice on this section it is a "expeditious way" down to TSM.

If you suffer from vertigo, yes, you can "freeze up."

For me, this section wasn't bad going up, but it was the coming down, especially with compacted snow and ice on the trail, that made me mumble some expletives and say, "I wish I brought my YakTrax."

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #12757 04/13/11 01:18 AM
Yep, that's the spot. AS I recall, there are a couple of stretches above trailside meadow that are very rocky and slightly exposed. Nothing anyone else I know has any trouble with when the trail is clear of snow/ice, just not my favorite stretch. If you don't remember it, its obviously not a problem. Valhalla is along a stretch of the High Sierra Trail, which I am doing this summer, and has some pretty fancy trail engineering.

All in all, my point was not that these sections are particularly hairy , but that we all have different perceptions of risk and exposure.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #12763 04/13/11 05:53 AM
W
W
Trepidation? Heck, it was outright pucker in that section twice for me. However, there was snow and I was without an axe and too inexperienced not to exit the trail and go down the slope from Consultation Lake to Trailside Meadow. Yes, experience here does count.

Let me explain, this was in November and March but these conditions be there any time there is snow on the trail. The snow lays on a angle and there are sheer drops in this area.

The windows and cables are more legend than reality. This area is real under certain conditions.

Susykat #12771 04/13/11 07:01 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: Susykat

Since I'm going in late August, snow and ice shouldn't be an issue near the windows area, but I have a question about wind. I know you can never really predict these things, but does it tend to follow a pattern, like is it likely to be worse early in the morning, or does it pick up as the day goes on?

It tends to be dead calm in the morning, and picks up as the day goes on. If it is a windy day, it is usually worst (other than storms), in late afternoon.

However, I will say that on several occasions, the hike up was windy, but on top it was dead calm, when I thought it would be raging.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard