Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
2 members (VA Traveler, 1 invisible), 239 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moose's Latest Adventure
#14889 06/07/11 12:15 PM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
It's been some time since Laura posted something on her blog, which I subscribe to. However, a new trip report came out today, and she has given me the OK to post a link to it here.

Enjoy!

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Re: Moose's Latest Adventure
CaT #14893 06/07/11 01:03 PM
S
S
Oh my GOODNESS! Laura has graduated to expedition-level accomplishments!

The Muir Hut is in a really remote section of the JMT!

(from her picture album: EVO Basin ski tour):

Thanks for posting the links, and thanks to Laura for taking the time to write up the trip! It is good to read that awesome writing again.

CaT #14902 06/07/11 05:07 PM
W
W
Laura's name has been mentioned a number of times recently both on this and the "other" board. For the benefit of the many, many newcomers to this board who may be wondering who the heck this is (and I'm sure some are), I suggest that someone who knows her better than I might synopsize her history, personality, accomplishments, why she's not currently posting to either board, etc. This synopsis should be as factual as possible, but speculation might well be in order for some things (why not posting to either board, for example).

When I say someone may know her better than I, the truth of the matter is I don't know her at all -- I've never communicated with her. But I DO know OF her to the extent of her writing, some of her history, personality, accomplishments, etc. And although I have a high admiration and respect for all that, it still does not qualify me to educate others who don't know her in comparison to someone who actually knows her.

If someone posts a sysnopsis about her for those who are wondering who this "Laura" is, it undoubtedly will help others -- like myself -- who may be familiar with her but still left wondering why she never posts anymore.

Or better yet -- Laura, why don't you "return"? We miss you!

Whitney Fan #14903 06/07/11 06:59 PM
Whitney Fan, I couldn't agree with you more. I miss Laura's posts tremendously - particularly her eloquent and highly visual TRs.

And you're also right that many of the newcomers to the boards see Laura's name mentioned from time to time, or her screen name of MooseTracks, and wonder who this woman is and why she's not currently present on either board.

The best intro to Laura for those who don't know her is her past posts. There is a ton of good reading to be had with Laura's 2009 and 2010 TRs here. Click "User List" above and then "M". Moosetracks is the first name you'll see. Click on her name, then "Show User's Posts". In particular, take a look at her last post (8/10) and you'll get a sense of who Laura is.

In a nutshell, Laura first became intrigued with mountaineering in 2006 and moved to Bishop to pursue that interest, which quickly became a passion. That was just over 4 years ago. Last year she became the first woman to ever complete all 10 ultra-grueling, consecutive days of the annual Sierra Challenge. I believe the stat was that no woman had ever completed more than 5 of the 10 days of the Challenge before Laura entered the competition last year. In her first attempt at it she aced all 10 days, and scored pretty doggone high in the overall standings.

She's out in the mountains every weekend - and I mean every weekend - year-round. Snow and ice are magnets for her. It takes some seriously bad weather or an injury to keep her out of the Sierra during her free time. Postholing up 3000 feet of deep snow at the end of a 10,000 foot winter day-climb doesn't faze her at all. She wears orange. Often. And when she summits a particularly challenging or fun peak, she loves to break out the (bright orange) "DO EPIC SH*T!" tee and don the floppy moose ears. Both are signature Laura effects.

She's one-of-a-kind.

Why don't we see her on the boards any longer? That's complex and only she can really answer that with any accuracy. Bottom line, my take is that she prefers the "Freedom of the Hills" - being out in the mountains rather than on the boards (or anywhere else for that matter). Laura is one of those rare people who has found their true calling in life, and is making the absolute most of it.

CaT #14905 06/07/11 07:24 PM
B
B
Read her account of the trip and marvel. Picture this: Starting at Lake Sabrina, over Echo Col (!!!), down to the Muir Trail area, up to Muir Pass, back out via Darwin Canyon and over Lamarck Col, returning to North Lake. All done in four days! Epic, indeed. Go, Moosie, go!

Whitney Fan #14906 06/07/11 07:26 PM
B
B
FYI. Laura lives in Bishop, California, and works as a physical therapist.

Whitney Fan #14937 06/08/11 12:56 PM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
Laura is an adventurous spirit who, over the past few years, has grown from "just" hiking to the point that she now does hiking, BPing, ice climbing, rock climbing, and other related epic adventures, both in summer and winter, both alone and with groups. She used to live in the L.A. area, but a few years ago, moved to Bishop to be closer to our beloved mountains (Bishop is conveniently central to both Yosemite and the Whitney area). As we all are, she is a work in progress, and has moved through various stages and chapters in her life. She continues to grow and learn from everything she does in a way that is not unlike a little kid wanting to take everything in and learn as much as possible. Like others among us on both boards, she also increasingly avoids what we all know as "drama", choosing instead to focus on her goals, her growth as an accomplished mountaineer, and her significant gifts in both writing and photography. She is generous with her time and talents, and many have had the privilege of experiencing her gourmet cooking and hospitality first-hand, both at the Moose Lodge (her apt.) and on the trail. More recently, to make better use of her time, she decided to create her own blog, post her pics and TRs one time there, and then let others know of its existence. Newer members of both boards, however, would not know of the existence of that blog, which is why I have posted a link to her latest post on it here. For myself, I have subscribed to her blog, and so any time she posts something new to it, I get an e-mail with a link to the new post.

Edit: I had not read Bulldog34's excellent post above prior to writing mine. I would echo everything he said. Moosie is, truly, one-of-a kind!

Quote:
She's out in the mountains every weekend - and I mean every weekend - year-round.

If I'm not mistaken, I think SnowNymph (aka Snowy) was Laura's inspiration for this back when she began doing it. Snowy used to do the same thing, and I remember following her TRs at that time, wishing that I could move back to California and do the same.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
CaT #14938 06/08/11 02:57 PM
One of my favorite TRs by Laura:

A Daughter's Love, A Father's Lessons

A video TR of Laura taking her dad up Whitney in June of '09 - pretty much a role reversal of his taking her up for the first time years before. You'll notice her dad is wearing only a Camelbak, but that's it's an overnight trip in semi-winter conditions. That's because Laura toted everything for the both of them. She told me later that her pack weighed in at over seventy pounds at the Portal.

Champagne magnums and 5-course dinners are heavy . . . but clearly worth it in some instances.

Bulldog34 #14943 06/09/11 04:59 AM
Thanks to all for the compliments. Once again, I'm blown away by the kindness shown me here.

As for anything "about" me: I'm just the luckiest girl in the world. I found my happiness, and have the opportunity to pursue my passion every day, both in my work as a Physical Therapist and as a mountaineer. My philosophy is simple: take every opportunity you can in life and run with it.

As for the reasons I don't post anymore, frankly, that's no one's business but my own. I have no desire to reopen old wounds, start trouble/drama, or insult individuals.

I wish everyone safe journeys and grand adventures,

-Laura

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #14946 06/09/11 06:48 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Thanks to all for the compliments. Once again, I'm blown away by the kindness shown me here.

As for anything "about" me: I'm just the luckiest girl in the world. I found my happiness, and have the opportunity to pursue my passion every day, both in my work as a Physical Therapist and as a mountaineer. My philosophy is simple: take every opportunity you can in life and run with it.

As for the reasons I don't post anymore, frankly, that's no one's business but my own. I have no desire to reopen old wounds, start trouble/drama, or insult individuals.

I wish everyone safe journeys and grand adventures,

-Laura

You are a lucky girl, I wish I could get out so often. It looks like you are making the best of it.

As far as the posting goes, don't you know that trouble and drama and insults are what it's all about? That, and a few ego-maniacs trying to one-up each other with stories of faster speeds on a route or knowing more about water treatment than the other, etc etc. It's the best! wink

MooseTracks #14966 06/09/11 05:54 PM
S
S
Yea you may not post anymore, but at least let us know when your first book comes out.. smile

Hope to see ya in your area sometime...

mark

So.BayMark #15044 06/13/11 04:37 AM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
Her TR, which is the subject of this topic, made the front page of the current edition of www.summitpost.org/.

CaT

MooseTracks #15046 06/13/11 05:19 AM
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #15054 06/13/11 10:48 AM
B
B
Beautiful TR and pics. Welcome back, Moose.

Link Copied to Clipboard