0 members (), 69 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip Report: Mt Whitney Main Trail, Single Day Solo, 6/20/11
#15886 06/30/11 09:42 AM
OP Offline
(I originally posted this on whitneyportalstore.com and was encouraged to post it here as well. Lots of pictures here.)

On June 20, 2011, I successfully summited Mt. Whitney solo in a single day via the Main Trail. Last year I failed to secure a spot in the trail lottery, partly because my group was too large and too limited on dates, and because of demand (only 50% of the people who applied won). This year I was successful probably because I took the opposite tack - 2 people on any day. My 17 year old son had planned to join me, but the night before we agreed it was best he stay home. An unmotivated teenager at 14,000' might not be a good thing.

I didn't quite know how much lingering winter to expect due to the recent Spring storms and relatively early permit date. The Ranger at the Station in Lone Pine ("Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center") confirmed some places had as much as 200% of normal snow pack. So I came prepared for lots of snow.

I camped at the Whitney Portal the evening before and after my single-day climb. The entire area is "Bear Aware" and a neighboring camper told me a resident bear traveled through the campground the night after my summit. I slept through the episode and didn't have any bear issues but was careful to put anything scented in the locker.

After 6 hours of sleep, I woke at 1am and started my climb up at 2:30am. When I reached this first water crossing, I realized I had left my trekking poles behind at the trailhead when I weighed my pack. (I weighed in at 22 lbs, including 3 liters of water, food, crampons, ice axe, cameras, too much fleece, etc.) Back down I ran and started over at 3:00am. The creek had heavy flow and required careful navigating, especially at night.

I entered the John Muir Wilderness at 3:30am by headlamp. I did have a half a moon of light to help, and after a while I could see other headlamps on the trail below me. Still, I had a great sense of isolation, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Eventually, as I climbed up, the sky lightened and treated me to perhaps the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. Up to this point several hours in, I hadn't passed a soul. Yet the Ranger Station had told me 100 permits had been issued for this day. I would later see evidence of fellow climbers with tents tucked away among the rocks and trees. I was also treated to my first Alpenglow. Now I know why they have a special name for this phenomenon, which I found extraordinary.

I had read online, and had confirmed at the Ranger Station, that I would want to climb up "The Chute", which bypassed the 97 Switchbacks currently covered in snow and ice. I had come prepared with snowshoes, but was told by the Ranger I probably would not need them. While you could get away without them, It turned out that as the snow softened in the heat of the day, snowshoes would have prevented postholing (sinking deep into the snow).

Between Mirror and Consolation Lakes, about 5 miles in, the route I followed left the actual Main Trail and traveled almost exclusively over snow until I reached Trail Crest. Up to that point short snowy patches were not uncommon. Most of the snow was well-tracked like this and passable in just boots.

After stopping for an hour at Trail Camp to fill my Camelback with filtered water and my belly with Trail Mix, I put away my trekking poles and pulled out my crampons and ice axe. It was 7:30am when I left Trail Camp and I was early enough in the day where the snow was still firm. I had read and heard from several people that an early start was a very good idea. It did get warm, easily in the high 70s or low 80s, and remained so the rest of the day.

At around 12,000 feet I could feel the altitude slow me and force frequent (but brief) rests. I later met multiple people who could not summit due to the altitude. I remembered in college feeling strong effects of altitude while climbing Mt Hood and was a little wary but pressed on without incident. The Chute took me about 2 hours.

Upon reaching the top of The Chute at Trail Crest, a breathtaking view of the Sequoia National Park awaited. Elevation: 13,777′, time: 9:30am. And still almost 3 more miles to the summit. Past Trail Crest on the West side of the ridge line the trail was free of snow due to its sunny exposure, requiring crampons only while previously ascending The Chute. But still there were patches of snow and ice, one of which put me on my backside when I slipped. Careful! Up until this point I still hadn't passed anyone. After 7 hours I finally did.

I reached the top of Mt. Whitney, with dozens of climbers at or near the summit, at 12:00pm. I tried to make a check-in call, but couldn't get cell phone service. I rested, drank, and eat for a half-hour and then headed back down. As they remind you at the trailhead, the Summit is only half way. Eleven miles back down. Ugh.

The valley around Outpost Camp was dark during my ascent, so I got another visual treat on the way back down. My watch said the descent went much quicker, but it felt sooo much slower. Ascent: 9 hours, including 2 hours of total rest. Descent: 5.5 hours, no rest. Roundtrip: 14.5 hours covering some 22 miles and over 6000′ of elevation gain.

After a $3 shower and a 10-hour night of sleep, I headed back down Whitney Portal Rd to Lone Pine for a fitting end: blueberry pancakes at the Alabama Hills Cafe.

Read more of the detailed Trail Report with many pictures at:
http://www.bigbeartrails.com/solo-summit-of-mt-whitney/

Last edited by Randall P; 06/30/11 07:18 PM.
Re: Trip Report: Mt Whitney Main Trail, Single Day Solo, 6/20/11
Randall P #15901 06/30/11 01:34 PM
Rod Offline
Great TR. Great pics. thanks for posting here also.You give great visual Beta.Wow having to restart for trekking poles. Tough one. I would hate to do MW without them so I guess it was worth the extra work.I have been reading a lot of TR's where people are taking a route left of the MT from Mirror lake to Consultation lake and Trail Camp.I wonder if that is easier due to the large amount of snow and if that is a good shortcut once the snow is gone or even doable without snow. Have to ask Trail Master BobR about that.Anyways enjoyed reading your TR.

Randall P #15907 06/30/11 02:49 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Nicely done

Randall P #15917 06/30/11 04:43 PM
M
mja Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Randall P
My 17 year old son had planned to join me, but the night before we agreed it was best he stay home. Un unmotivated teenager at 14,000' might not be a good thing.

Great Trip Report and nice pictures.

BTW, good call on your teenage son. In 2005 I talked my unmotivated 21 year old son into joining me for a climb on the MT and set him up with gear for the climb. He fooled me though - by the time we reached Bighorn Park he told me he had forgotten his underwear and couldn't continue. That was the one piece of "gear" I didn't think I had to account for...

Randall P #15919 06/30/11 05:07 PM
Randall P

I'm so relaxed after reading you Trip Report, what a wonderful hike and summit you had. I bet your son regrets he wasn't able to join you once he sees your photos and reads your trip report. I've got a feeling you'll be back to Mt. Whitney soon with your son. I was astonished at how light your backpack was even with crampons and an ice axe. I like the timelines you gave in your report, I think other hikers will find your timelines very informative, especially if they're first timers to Mt. Whitney. Thank you very much for sharing your Mt. Whitney experience.

Lynn

P.S. I like your comment about alpenglow...
reddish glow seen near sunset or sunrise on the summits of mountains

Lynnaroo
Randall P #15993 07/03/11 09:06 AM
W
W
Really appreciate your TR-- very informative and helpful, especially the version at the link with photos. Have a great 4th o' July!

Randall P #16058 07/05/11 09:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the kind comments. I also finished editing the trip footage I shot during my Main Trail single day climb I reported on above. See my 3 minute Mt Whitney video here:

http://www.bigbeartrails.com/video-trip-report-mt-whitney/

Randall P #16117 07/07/11 03:04 PM
D
D
Randall,
Thanks for the TR and the photos. I specially like the one on the thread where the Alpenglow is beginning to show.

Regards,
Luis

Randall P #16164 07/08/11 09:27 PM
S
S
I just noticed Randall posted a video of the trip.

Here it is...

Link Copied to Clipboard