Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
From Crescent Meadow to Whitney
#18151 09/08/11 03:43 AM
L
OP Offline
L
So I'm planning a solo trip for the summer of 2012 and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting from Bakersfield airport to Lodgepole (west side) and then from Lone Pine back to Bakersfield (east side). I just graduated college so my funds are limited but I am open to pretty much any suggestions. I've looked into the various bus routes but it sounds like I'd have to factor in 2 additional days in the trip just to make sure I can get to and from the park. I was thinking of flying in the first of July and then leaving the ninth. Are there any others planning a similar trek with whom I could catch a ride? I am not opposed to flying into Fresno and flying out of Mammoth lakes if others are making that trip as well.

Re: Shuttle From Crescent Meadow to Whitney
LDrunner #18157 09/08/11 07:53 AM
S
S
Welcome to WhitneyZone, LDrunner.

Transportation takes some work to figure out your best options.

To get to Lodgepole, there is a shuttle out of Visalia, CA. -- Sequoia Shuttle. Another hiker from the east coast pointed out it leaves in the morning, so probably requires an overnight in Visalia. (Or arrive early A.M. via one of the other transportation options.)

Visalia is located closer to Fresno than Bakersfield, and Fresno has a larger airport. But you might find a less expensive mode of travel if you flew into Los Angeles and took Amtrak to Visalia. (not sure). Greyhound also connects these cities, so check them, too.

On the east side, from Lone Pine, you can take the CREST bus: Eastern Sierra Transit Authority. Here, you have options...
-   Go south to Lancaster, and take other transportation back to LAX or wherever -- it is tough getting back to Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno.
-   Go north to Mammoth, switch to the YARTS system and head to Yosemite Valley and Merced (an Amtrak destination). This would let you see Yosemite.
-   Go north clear to Reno, NV, and fly out of Reno.

Good luck, and be sure to discuss your options here.

Re: From Crescent Meadow to Whitney
LDrunner #18158 09/08/11 07:57 AM
S
S
> I was thinking of flying in the first of July and then leaving the ninth.

That might be a bit optimistic as to the snow levels. This past winter was a heavy snow year, and hikers turned around in July due to some treacherous spots due to snow blocking the trail. ...but what are the odds of having two heavy snow winters in a row? With a normal snow year, you will be fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard