Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
2 members (VA Traveler, 1 invisible), 239 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
September 15-16 on the Main Trail
#18500 09/18/11 07:44 PM
M
mja Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Last week I took a friend - Gary - for his first trip to the Sierras. Gary had trained hard and was pumped for his first climb up the Main Whitney Trail. We arrived late Wednesday night in Lone Pine and we were at the permit office at 8 am sharp on Thursday the 15th to score permits. Permits in hand, we were out of the office by 8:15 and off to the Portal. Although I flunked out of the Lottery this year, I've been lucky enough to pick up permits the day of the hike in both June and September.

We arrived at the Portal at about 9:00 am and hit the trail around 9:30. The goal was to make Trail Camp around 3:00 p.m. Although the week had been stormy, there were some signs it might clear by Friday. We were a little uncertain what Thursday night would hold but decided to try our luck at Trail Camp as opposed to Outpost Camp so that we would have a shorter trip up and back on summit day.

The day was sunny and warm but not hot. The water levels at the North Fork crossing and the log crossing short of Long Pine Lake looked like they were back to normal after what I saw in June. After reading about the July deluge and seeing pictures of the destruction it caused, I was surprised at the good condition of the trail. I could see many places where it had been repaired and many kudos for those responsible. At Bighorn Park, we stopped for "the purest water on the planet" (thanks Bob R!!) which is always one of the highlights of the trip for me. I was hoping the meadow would have turned into its Fall colors but it looked like that might be a week or two away.

By the time we hit Trail Camp, afternoon clouds had come in over the crest and we quickly set up camp and ate dinner expecting some weather. Thankfully it never came. We had very little rain and some wind but the storms held off all night.

I was a little disappointed in the condition of Trail Camp. There were a couple of spots where people "did their business" and left it unwagged. In one case, it was no more than 20 feet from the pond. In the future, I think I will look for alternative camps during the summer months.

Sunrise on Friday came at about 6 am. As usual the alpenglow was beautiful. The day dawned sunny and fortunately stayed that way all day. We hit the trail at about 7:30 with a goal of summiting by noon. The switchbacks were clear despite the weather during the week. Although it was obvious that it had snowed above 13,000 feet, the snow on the trail had melted and did not pose any problem. There were only a couple of spots short of Trail Crest that posed any traction issues and they were easily navigable.

Once we hit Trail Crest, the wind picked up on the trail through the windows but dropped off once we hit the summit. There was noticeably more snow on the trail but it was still easy to traverse with care and attention. There is a small snow field left from last winter on the final climb to the summit plateau and some people were using mircro spikes to help with traction.

There were about 20-25 people on the summit around noon on Friday. People were relaxing on the granite beach, celebrating their climbs and taking in the amazing views. With low winds, the temperature was a warm 40 and was very comfortable.

As usual, the highlight of the trip for me was meeting and chatting with everyone on the trail. I ran into several people who were finishing up the JMT (on my bucket list) and everyone of them was on cloud nine making me exceedingly jealous to go off the grid for 2-3 weeks. Met one couple that had hiked the JMT as a detour during their trip from France to New Zealand and he hiked the entire trail in flip flops - I still can't wrap my mind around that.

We left the summit at about 1 pm and stopped at Trail Camp to pack up our camp. Made it back down by 7 only to find out I had lost my SPOT on the trip down. The next morning I came back to the Portal on a hunch and sure enough someone had returned my SPOT to the store and Doug had it at the counter. Many thanks to the person responsible for that good deed!!

In short, a perfect Fall climb and a great chance for Gary to see the mountain at its best.

Here are a couple of pics -

The Granite Beach

The JMT in flip flops...

Here is the Smug Mug Link with the rest of the pictures.

Mike

Re: September 15-16 on the Main Trail
mja #18509 09/19/11 08:04 AM
K
K
Well done!

I can't wrap my mind around the JMT in flip flops either. Craziness.

kurt765 #18510 09/19/11 09:21 AM
T
T
Last year when I did the MMWT just after Labor day, I ran into a woman between Trail Crest and the JMT junction. She had done the JMT in Tevas (sandals with heal strap). They were falling apart and her feet were freezing and beat up and she was in tears. I gave her my roll of duct tape so she could do a field repair on the tevas.

I'm sure it works out for some people and it is a super cool bohemian back to nature stunt....but.......

tdtz #18535 09/19/11 09:35 PM
Rod Offline
Nice TR and thanks for the pics.

mja #18550 09/20/11 11:27 AM
Nice TR. JMT in flip flops, new standard for ultra light.

Sorry to read about the wag bag noncompliance, but this is not unexpected. I saw a lot of wag bags on the trail in early August. The wag bag program was implemented without public input or environmental due process, but there may be a chance to weigh in some day. If there is an opportunity, please let them know what you saw and how this impacts you. The people making these decisions are in an office and all they hear is happy talk from Rangers about how great everything is and how toilets could never work. This thread is discussing the issue. http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/18206/Solar_Toilets_vs_Carrying_Wag_#Post18206 Maybe you can provide more detail there.

Originally Posted By: mja
I was a little disappointed in the condition of Trail Camp. There were a couple of spots where people "did their business" and left it unwagged. In one case, it was no more than 20 feet from the pond. In the future, I think I will look for alternative camps during the summer months.

Link Copied to Clipboard