Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Getting in Shape, Training for Whitney 2012 - Ideas, input?
quillansculpture #19268 10/16/11 07:00 PM
When I think about training for Whitney it reminds me of my first time to the summit as opposed to my best time which was the second time.
The first time I had run the Big Sur marathon and running daily until October when a friend of mine (12 years younger) and I decided to do the hike. I think we did one hike to Mt. Baldy before that day. Basically we were runners who thought we would give Whitney a try. After hearing about a fellow worker talk about his hike and how cold he was I decided to do the hike with heavy hiking boots, jeans, long underwear, sweats, and a heavy jacket among other things. Oh and I almost forgot...an extra pair of running shoes. The night before I ate lots of pizza and quite a bit of beer. We stayed at lower Lone Pine campground that night and got on the trail by 6AM. We thought that was early. Needless to say I was a mess the entire way up the trail. It is a good thing there were solar toilets back then because I could not have packed enough WAG BAGS. It seemed like I had spent most of my time going up inside the solar toilets. Somehow I made it to Trail Crest and from then on the boots felt like anchors. I thought about switching shoes "I think" but I did not want those anchors on my back. I trudged up from Trail Crest barely one foot in front of the other chanting "HUL-DA, HUL-DA, HUL-DA" very slowly. I made it to the point up to the summit where you can see the hut from the trail, but I thought I was done. My friend said I looked like death and I could feel my neck throbbing. It would have been hard to tell if I was suffering from altitude sickness because I was sooo dehydrated from my upset stomach I was barely able to stand. I told my friend to go ahead and I would see him on the way down. I ate a granola bar and got a sudden burst of energy. I went back to chanting "HUL-DA" and my friend was shock to see coming up to the top of the summit. This was over 20 years ago and from Trail Crest to the Summit it wasn't a flat trail to the top. You actually had to climb over several large bolders that were in the way of the trail.
I have thought about this defeat, yes I said defeat because I made the summit but the mountain defeated me that day. I guess I thought I could never let that happen again and a couple years later I would make my second summit.
I trained for the Baldy Peaks 50K (10,000 foot total elevation climb and descent). I ran in the mountains of Southern California, and included Mt. Whitney as part of my training.
This time there were three of us runners. No pizza and no beer for me the night before and we stayed at Whitney Portal that night. Since there was much less parking at the trail head then we started our hike from the campground. We went up in 5 1/2 hours and down in 3 1/2 in basically running shoes, running clothes, a hip water belt and a small pack (no trekking poles). Now I know people have said you can't sight see while running in the mountains, but after awhile it's like walking on pavement while sight seeing. I guess what I am saying in preparing for Whitney is to make it part of what you already do on a consistent basis and maybe your lucky enough to remember something you were make it through, even Mt Whitney itself. Everybody is different but remember "where ever the mind goes the body will follow...follow your dreams".

ruffpace #19271 10/16/11 07:50 PM
Bee Offline
Nice.

When I hike alone, I almost always run a good portion of the "hike", and then I pretend that I am viewing the scenes from some sort of vehicle. Sometimes I forget for a moment that I am actually propelling myself.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
quillansculpture #19276 10/16/11 08:44 PM
C
C
Joe since I fall into the category of someone who trains very little & because I always enjoy reading Harvey's quotes & note he too trains very much as I do, I found a couple of quotes about exercise that have various versions but still provide a thought provoking message:

1) Whenever I feel like exercising I just lie down until the feeling goes away.

2) I get my exercise acting as pallbearer to my friends who exercise.

But of course you know I DO exercise enough to climb

Bee #19290 10/17/11 09:23 AM
I know what you mean. It seems to me that running in a beautiful environment like the Whitney zone enhances the senses especially at night. The only time it did not work out so well is once when I was pacing a Angeles Crest 100 runner near Mt. Wilson. We were running at night, under trees and I could not see the rocks under the leaves. I twisted my right ankle three times that night and I had to let the runner go on without me. It was great up until that point though. If you like running in the mountains I would look into pacing someone in an ultra where it is allowed. For the AC100 this was allowed after 50 miles. I paced two runners that night, the first one dropped out (the race director), and the second had his best time ever. I guess the best thing about doing this is I met two new runners that night, helping them to achieve their goals and absolutely no pressure on me. It was also great to see the lights winding through the mountains before and after us underneath the stars.

ruffpace #19293 10/17/11 11:14 AM
H
H
Don't think I (or very many other people) can get in shape to do this on the PCT:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/14/long-distance-hiker-scott-williamson-sets-new-unsu/

wait, this guy tops that
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

Last edited by Harvey Lankford; 10/17/11 11:47 AM.
Harvey Lankford #19376 10/22/11 05:01 PM
OP Offline
I've had quite a few P.M.'s both for and against a training thread. In fact wazzu gave me a suggestion for having a thread for the people that have contacted both of us about running the Wild Wild West Marathon in May. So, if you've wanted to run a marathon in a really beautiful place4, with no time pressure, just great people and scenery, consider the WWW marathon, the first weekend of May.

Well, though very few have posted their training.... I figured I would at least do this last one. In the last 20 days I've worked out 18 of them and put in 27 hours of cardio which includes stairclimber, precor and treadmill. That doesn't include hikes or short runs with Karyn. I've also put in appx 8 hours of weights. Tomorrow is a great day as it's a day off.

Home made Pizza tonight.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #19382 10/23/11 01:30 PM
W
W
QS and I would send PM's to each other with our training for the WWW Marathon during the winter/spring to help each other stay motivated and on track. I found it very helpful, as we both had various aches/pains/injuries that caused some set backs.

If you want to read about the adventure that we experienced in the 2011 WWW Marathon here's the link to the thread.

As far as my training, lately I've been dealing with a hamstring injury that has slowed me down the last month or so. However, that didn't stop me from picking up a new pair of trail runners last weekend for the start of my 2012 WWW Marathon training.

If anyone (trailrunner, Steve C, Rod, DUG...)is interested, the race is on May 5, 2012. Yes, that's right, Cinco De Mayo! What a great way to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. Walk/Run/Jog/Hop over streams, snakes, and overgrown trails for 26.2 miles and then enjoy burritos & beer! (and that's in addition to the beer that's at the water stops)

Think of it as a 26.2 mile day hike with water/beer/snack stops every 3 miles. You can take as long as you want to complete the course, however the water/beer/snack stops are shut down after 10 hours.

quillansculpture #19384 10/23/11 06:10 PM
Build a shed.

Mike
Mike Condron #19385 10/23/11 06:19 PM
OP Offline
Yea, I've built a shed. Not fun....

quillansculpture #19436 10/26/11 10:20 PM
W
W
I just run and hike. I try to run 40 to 45 minutes 3X week and hike on Saturdays. If I can do 16 miles averaging bit more than 2 MPH on the ups I'm happy. I don't day hike Mt. Whitney any more so I don't have to get into 22-RT shape.

This summer is the first in 11 years where I did not go to the Sierra...life got in the way. I'm in horrible shape for me but great shape for most my age. My goal is to be ready to play in the snow this winter, not Mt. Whitney next summer.

If everything is right in the world, the MR will be in next summer's plan. Hopefully, remediation, migition and restoration will not be a part of my vocabulary by next summer.

wbtravis #19438 10/27/11 08:55 AM
B
B
I run once a week, play racquetball 2 days a week and do Bikram Yoga (90 minutes of insanely hard postures in a room heated to 105-110 degrees with 45% humidity). As the hiking season gets closer, I throw in lots of invisible chairs (put your back up against the wall with nothing under you, keeping your knees bent at 90 degree angles, 3 reps of 2-3 minutes each).

Brent

Brent N #19448 10/27/11 06:12 PM
I start slow.

Then taper.

wink

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #19450 10/27/11 09:57 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
I start slow.

Then taper.

wink

shocked I think you left out the part about the epics.

MooseTracks #19451 10/28/11 03:22 AM
I start slow.

Then taper.

wink

Happens with 60-70 pounds . . .

You also left out the part about going 18-20 miles a day with, oh, 5000 feet of gain.

Bulldog34 #19453 10/28/11 06:32 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
I start slow.

Then taper.

wink

Happens with 60-70 pounds . . .

You also left out the part about going 18-20 miles a day with, oh, 5000 feet of gain.

20 miles and 5000 feet is called -

A short day. smile

I have two methods that help me get in shape -

The treadmill. I either run (when my sore back allows) or walk. When running I use miles as a goal and when walking I use calories burned.

Actually hiking. Any miles spent hiking anywhere will help get you in shape for bigger hikes. Hit a local trail when you can and do as much as you can squeeze in. Some people practice with larger loads in their packs, but I usually don't. I normally go so light on all my hikes that practicing with heavy loads only makes my back hurt.

Whatever you do to get in shape, just do it and get out there.............................................DUG

DUG #19457 10/28/11 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: DUG

A short day. smile

Nope: it's called a warm-up.

Oh, sheesh, people. I'm just kidding. Especially right now: I'm five weeks out of getting my left knee scoped and I'm test-driving the knee this weekend. We'll see if I can cause any pain (hopefully not!).

The formula is simple: everyone's formula is different.

Cardio-wise: find something you enjoy and stick to it regularly. Add in a few long walks so your legs get used to some level of pounding.

Weight-training: helps a lot for quick strength, scrambling, etc. Use your own body weight, weights, rocks, poles, whatever for resistance.

Give yourself break days. Listen to you body if it hurts. Adjust accordingly. Keep it simple. Have fun.

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #19458 10/28/11 12:06 PM
OP Offline

Give yourself break days. Listen to you body if it hurts.

Break days? break days..... Hey Steve.... someone stole Laura's identity!!!!!!

MooseTracks #19479 10/31/11 06:25 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: DUG

A short day. smile

Nope: it's called a warm-up.

Oh, sheesh, people. I'm just kidding. Especially right now: I'm five weeks out of getting my left knee scoped and I'm test-driving the knee this weekend. We'll see if I can cause any pain (hopefully not!).

The formula is simple: everyone's formula is different.

Cardio-wise: find something you enjoy and stick to it regularly. Add in a few long walks so your legs get used to some level of pounding.

Weight-training: helps a lot for quick strength, scrambling, etc. Use your own body weight, weights, rocks, poles, whatever for resistance.

Give yourself break days. Listen to you body if it hurts. Adjust accordingly. Keep it simple. Have fun.

-L cool

I quit taking intentional break days ages ago when I found out life gets in the way more than I like it to...and then there are injuries that just seem to happen a bit more often than they did when I was somewhat less ancient...at least I've cut down on the stupid things I used to do. This has become my way of taking break days...unfortunately my break days outnumber my exercise days this past summer.

ruffpace #19482 10/31/11 07:39 AM
B
B
Here's some good getting-in-shape advice from the Four Seasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYZBVbifh8

MooseTracks #19490 10/31/11 04:33 PM
H
H

Laura, good luck with the knee. I'd like to give you some encouragement:
I had my first of 3 scopes in 1994, then 2001, then 2010. Now awaiting the inevitable TKR next month (even though I did Whitney 2 months ago, slowly)

One orthopedist I saw in 1994 said stop backpacking. Well, he is dead, meanwhile I took my pack to 5 continents, as high as 22,000 feet, all of the JMT, and more, despite his advice. I hope you have a good outcome,too, but as everyone else told me, be patient. I am sure you will listen to your Physical therapist :-) Harvey

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard