Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Uber Bivy
Anonymous1 #22594 04/02/12 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari
Thanks for dude sharing you opinion dude. A guy like you saying you've put it through the wringer gives me confidence. I just want to make sure it can stand up to the elements. I love the advertised weight and it looks a lot bigger than the other bivys I've seen.

I mostly day hike, and hate getting weighed down. That being said, I'm just not in good enough shape to day hike something like Tyndall/Williamson, so this fits the ticket.

Like Burchey said it's a bivy and not a tent so gearing up in it could be a chore. For a bivy it is huge.

Mike
Mike Condron #22596 04/02/12 09:55 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the kind words on the Uber Bivy. I built it for my needs. Glad it's serving you well. It is still a bivy, so I would recommend a tent for winter so you can cook in the vestibule.

Hey I used my 11 oz simple bivy as a bag cover on my last winter trip to protect my sleeping bag from spills in the tent. Nice lightweight protection for day hikes gone bad.

Dave

David Miles #22606 04/03/12 10:09 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Winter in the Uber is nice unless you need to cook/etc in a blowing storm. Maybe listen to Dave on that if you're expecting some weather.

FWIW - here are some trips I got out in with mine.

Mt Sill

Split in a storm

Lee Vining in a storm

Winter Palisade Traverse Bail

If you don't have a sleeping bag with the "waterproof" shell like I do, Dave's light cover is a must for winter camping if you're in any kind of weather. You can carry it on the summit push as well for an emergency bivy. It's almost impossible to avoid snow/condensation from getting all over everything, unless you're carrying a 10 pound double-wall 4 season tent. We go single wall tent typically (if not in the Uber), so condensation is a problem. Sleeping bag = happy with a protective cover if you've got a marginal shell material.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard