Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Main Trail in May... Gear?
#22959 04/17/12 09:24 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I plan to hike the main trail on May 5, 2012 (my last choice on my permit application, oh well...), and I was wondering if anybody could provide a little advice?

All the information/reports I find seem to state I'll likely need an ice axe and crampons, but they also all indicate that they went up the chute and/or otherwise deviated from the main path at some point on the hike.

My question is: if I stick to JUST the main path, will I still need an ice axe and crampons?

Some background info: most of our group is in extremely good shape and we have done quite a few runs (yes, runs, not hikes) up Half Dome and Mount Baldy with no problem. Unfortunately, we have very little collective experience in ice/snow, and none of us have done Whitney, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. We've done quite a few hikes without key pieces of "highly recommended gear", but we're not sure if this is the same type of situation. Example: two of us hiked the Machame Route all the way up to the peak of Kilimanjaro without any poles, and wearing trail runners instead of legitimate boots. Aside from some really cold toes from day two onward, we were fine.

Any input you can provide is very much appreciated...

Last edited by dudemind; 04/17/12 09:43 AM.
Re: Main Trail in May... Gear?
dudemind #22960 04/17/12 10:01 AM
S
S
Welcome to the board, dm. May 5 is really early, so you are pretty sure to encounter too much snow on the switchbacks to follow them. But I may be wrong this year.

Here are Bob R's pictures of the trail from 2007-05-23 Whitney, Muir, etc. Look at the pictures starting especially at "38 Trail Camp". This year is similar in snow-level.

I am assuming you are day hiking. There are plenty of permits available later in May, even the 12-13 and 19-20 weekends. Mid-week day hike slots are available to June 13! Try to select a later date if possible. This year being a low snow year, if you go a few weeks later, you should be able to go up the switchbacks (and avoid the slope west of them where you should have crampons).

Here's the link to the   Mt Whitney Trail Day Use availability

If you cannot change to a later date, and people are not reporting use of the switchbacks by May 5, then you do need the crampons and ice axe.

For ice axe use, here's a great starting point:

How to ice-axe self arrest, from the British Mountaineering Council
    ...and this one: Ice Axe Technique

Last edited by Steve C; 04/17/12 10:05 AM.
Steve C #22971 04/17/12 12:22 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the detailed info, Steve. Unfortunately, I've got our group fairly committed to that weekend, so it'll be difficult to change up our plans at this point.

So if people are doing the switchbacks by that weekend, is it pretty safe to assume that we can attempt the hike without crampons? Or are there other portions of the trail that may require them?

Thanks again.

dudemind #22983 04/17/12 04:50 PM
W
W
You will need to bring ice axe and crampons...and Microspikes for the trailwalking parts.

My guess this gear will need to be used. Before last week's snow, the snow leave on Mt. Baden-Powell was lower than 8,000' and consolidated at to about 2' at 9,000'. Last week's snow will add to it...the powder depth on Bighorn Peak was saw 3' in spots below 7,600'.

My guess is the only way to Trail Crest this early will be up the chute. The trail is usually blocked at the cable and if you go up there and can't force it, it's a first class pain getting back down to the chute...I know it is something I would not want to do.

You still have an opportunity to get comfortable with this gear in our local mountains before heading Lone Pine.

dudemind #22988 04/17/12 05:23 PM
S
S
> Thanks for the detailed info, Steve. Unfortunately, I've got our group fairly committed to that weekend, so it'll be difficult to change up our plans at this point.

I would show everyone this thread, and see just how committed they are. Your group sounds like some pretty hardy fast-and-light people, but going that early really changes your parameters, and can very well change the trip from a success to a do-over-next-time.

If you select a later date, your odds of summitting are much greater.

Steve C #22989 04/17/12 05:37 PM
H
H
Here are 48 pictures by Richard Piotrowski on the Main Trail 4/15/12. Pictures say a thousand words.

Piotrowski on Whitney 4/15/12

this was in
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Harvey Lankford #23011 04/18/12 05:22 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you, all three of you... The added information is extremely helpful.

Steve: When I say "committed", I mean that it's the only weekend in May that everybody can make it due to other travel or work obligations. It was our last choice, but with all other dates falling on Saturdays in July and August, I was unable to secure a better date. Unfortunate, but I guess we might be looking towards a more successful and well-planned 2013 application...

Maybe a couple of us will check it out just to see how far we can get before the snow/ice becomes prohibitive...

Last edited by dudemind; 04/18/12 11:15 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard