Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3 Generations
#24859 06/09/12 04:50 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Just returned from our Whitney trip last night so I wanted to get this posted as soon as I could.

Our party:
My Son (19)
Me (46)
My Father (73)

Trip itinerary:
6/5
Drove up from So. Cal.
Camped at the Whitney Portal campground

6/6
Entered main trail at Portal
Camped at Trail Camp

6/7
From Trail Camp made the summit
Returned from summit and camped at Trail Camp for 2nd night

6/8
Left Trail Camp and exited at the portal
Returned back to So. Cal.

Summary:
What a great experience! For the most part the trip went as planned. We had ideal weather throughout our trip even though it was a little cool on our first night at Trail Camp. The key was no wind! One of the hardest parts of our trip was the first day going from the portal to Trail Camp with full packs on. The pack weight, thin air, and elevation gain made for a long and difficult day. Though I think if we had settled for Outpost Camp we would not have been able to make the summit. Our day trip from Trail Camp to the summit was incredible. The cable and ice sections on the switchbacks were passed cautiously without crampons with no difficulties. What amazing views from Trail Crest! By the time we summited (12:15pm) we practically had the summit to ourselves. The summit was perfect; we had no wind at all and it was rather warm. You really do have the sense of being on top of the world when you're on top of Whitney. I would like to thank all the people we encountered along the way that encouraged us to keep moving and told us that we were "almost there".

At 73 years of age my dad did an awesome job and his determination never wavered in his bid for the summit. We needed to make frequent stops on our ascent to Trail Camp as well as the summit so he could catch his breath, but even with the stops we still made descent time. I hope when I'm 70+ I will be in the condition he is in.

In the 3 weeks prior to attempting Whitney we made attempts to climb San Jacinto and San Gorgonio peaks for conditioning. Those two trips ended in failures due to time constraints, gear, and weather (snowed on us). Even though we failed to summit these peaks it did wonders for conditioning us for our Whitney ascent. I would strongly suggest planning high altitude ascents to shake out your gear and get your body conditioned for the assault on Whitney.

The only bad thing that happened on our trip was that I managed to lose a camera memory card coming back from the summit. While on the switchbacks right before the cable section (on our way down to Trail Camp) I filled the memory card for my camera, so I swapped it out for my backup card. I put the used card in a case and that case in a small plastic baggie along with a grey lens cleaning cloth. Then I put the baggie in my pants pocket. It wasn't until the next morning at Trail Camp did I realize that this baggie was missing. So somewhere on that trail section there lies an irreplaceable collection of images from our trip including the summit. I fear that the mountain has consumed this bag and the photos are lost forever, but we do have some video from a flip so all is not completely lost. I'm offering a $100 reward to anyone that returns the card (or images) to me. The memory card (SanDisk 16GB CF) has my name and cell number on it, so I'm praying it finds its way into someone's hands.

All the best to those making their attempt at summiting Whitney!

DDD66

Re: 3 Generations
DblDogDare66 #24861 06/09/12 09:13 PM
J
J
Going up Tuesday so,I'll look for it

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
DblDogDare66 #24864 06/09/12 09:57 PM
F
F
Congratulations on reaching the summit,especially your father!! What a shame about your memory card, I sincerely hope the Mountain Gods find a way to return them to you!!

DblDogDare66 #24865 06/09/12 09:58 PM
DDD66

What a wonderful and memorable Whitney summit trek you had with you son and Father. I hope and pray John Prietto finds your memory card. Thank you for your trip report...sounds like conditiions on the mountain are good.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #24866 06/09/12 10:27 PM
S
S
DDD66: Congratulations on such a successful trip!

Please call these numbers and tell them of your lost camera chip in the bag. It ought to be easy to spot, and someone just may pick it up.

Whitney Portal store 760-937-2257
Inyo Wilderness Permit office (ask who to call about lost-and-found): 760-873-2483
Both those numbers should be operational weekends, too.

Good luck!

Steve C #24880 06/10/12 12:38 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the kind words and we are hoping the memory card will belch forth from the mountain.

Steve, before we left we checked the store and reported the lost item at the permit office. Thanks for the number to the store because I was looking for it. I'll call them tomorrow after all the traffic has come down off the mountain from this weekends hikers.

DDD66

DDD66
Steve C #24881 06/10/12 01:02 PM
C
C
Steve I put a comment on the WPSMB regarding the previous Half Dome Magic when a lost chip was found weeks (?) after it fell from the summit of HD down the face. That surely would have been alot harder to find vs this one in a plastic bag with a grey cloth so hopefully within a couple of days it will be found and returned to the owner.

For those unfamiliar with the saga perhaps you might consider retrieving the post and put it on WZ?

CMC2 #24889 06/10/12 03:04 PM
S
S

Steve C #24901 06/10/12 06:54 PM
CaT Offline
It lives on... smile

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)

Link Copied to Clipboard