Next Thread
Print Thread
When to arrive for walk up at the Portal campground
#25218 06/19/12 10:22 AM
J
Josh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am going this weekend to summit Mt whitney and am planning on staying friday night at horseshoe meadows and sat night at the portal. Unfortunately when I went to book the reservations 3 months ago nothing was available. I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good time to get to each and secure a walk up spot.

Thanks!

Check out my adventures at my California Travel Blog http://californiathroughmylens.com, excited I was able to add Mt Whitney and Half Dome to it this year.
Re: When to arrive for walk up at the Portal campground
Josh #25235 06/19/12 06:29 PM
W
W
Check in time is mid-day but I've never been shut out getting a spot in the hiker-in area...but I know where the stealth spots are.

People pack up prior to day hiking, so there will be spots available first thing in the morning.

wbtravis #25245 06/20/12 11:32 AM
J
Josh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the info. If we are driving in friday at 8 do u think there is a chance that the portal would still have spot for a tent? I was planning to do horseshoe meadows but it might be better just to go to the portal and hang out there so that we can secure a spot if you think there would be something available.

Is there a number that I can call for the whitney portal campground information that anyone is aware of?

Thanks so much for the help!

Check out my adventures at my California Travel Blog http://californiathroughmylens.com, excited I was able to add Mt Whitney and Half Dome to it this year.
Josh #25249 06/20/12 03:11 PM
S
S
Josh, you can try it. wbtravis is talking about the walk-in sites which are right below the highest backpacker parking near the trail head, and above the overflow parking down the hill a bit. If you get there at 8 or near dark, you will need to look around with a flashlight to find a spot. It is likely you will find one.

But... the walk-in sites are technically for one night only. And you would get better altitude acclimatization if you stayed up at Horseshoe Meadows. You could move to the Portal in the morning to get a walk-in spot.

Let us know which way you go, and how it works out. Hope you have a good trip!

Steve C #25277 06/21/12 08:54 AM
J
Josh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks Steve I appreciate the help! I will be sure to write up a review here when I get back!

Link Copied to Clipboard