Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Whitney Triple
Davey McCoy #25325 06/22/12 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: mountainwalker85
I just want to say this. We really are not into Mountain climbing on a competitive level - except perhaps for competing with ourselves - I am just a guy who loves being in nature...a normal guy who loves being fit and loves to ski!
Triple Crowning Mt. Whitney for a record of sorts should be for those who are into competition , I think its important you all know this about the two of us: We would love to try it for personal reasons and to challenge ourselves, but we don't care for the sake of setting records.... Personal accomplishments only!
We share our time/pace/milage info with you all, not because we are crazy competitive, but because we share a similar love of mountains and adventure with you all that makes it fun!

MW85

Davey, thanks for the clarification. I, for one, really appreciate that. My own issues here, but I am always skeptical when I see anyone posting specific times/speeds/etc yet say they "aren't competitive". As someone who is WAY too competitive myself, to the point of making myself miserable (and believe me, I'm REALLY good at making myself miserable), I often allow myself to get sucked into other people's competitions. That was one reason I resisted doing the Sierra Challenge for a number of years: I was friends with all the fastest guys, and I knew I would beat myself up mercilessly for not being able to "keep up." It was a long battle to convince myself that moving at my own pace, and being completely self-sufficient with whatever I was doing, was the way to my own happiness.

I admire anyone, and I do mean *anyone*, who sets a goal for themselves and works hard to achieve it. My personal opinions aside, if your goal is to attempt Whitney three times in a day, go for it! I have a few peaks left in the WZ area, so maybe I could plan on something that day and be at the Portal with Champagne at the end.

It sounds as if, since your accident, you have seized the day and worked hard to achieve an incredible level of fitness. I'm working hard to get back to that level as well, hoping that 2010 wasn't just an anomaly. Please forgive my abrasiveness or abruptness, as it was a defense mechanism (comes from being on these boards too much, I suppose).

Carpe diem!
Climb Hard, Be Safe.
-L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #25329 06/22/12 09:30 AM
CaT Offline
Quote:
And a straight shot from OV to Whitney equates to mindlessly slogging up and down the same mountain three times in a row in what way?

Yours came to mind because both that and this basically involve hiking, more or less, for 24 hours straight without sleep, whether or not the route is repetitious.

Quote:
Please forgive my abrasiveness or abruptness, as it was a defense mechanism (comes from being on these boards too much, I suppose).

No worries. smile I also couldn't agree more with your post above, esp the part about respecting anyone who sets goals, etc.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
MooseTracks #25333 06/22/12 11:59 AM
T
T
I'm going to throw down the gauntlet

I'll be shooting for a 4 hour round trip......WP-LPL-WP

Any competitors must follow last year's TDTZ adventure route and catch one golden trout at LPL before returning to WP.

Bullet777 #25334 06/22/12 12:14 PM
E
E
Originally Posted By: Bullet777
Does anyone have details of splits of record (or say sub 4 hour) return trips?
3 hours 20 mins on the main trail sounds impossible. They must shortcut a lot of switchbacks etc and not keep to the trail for large parts. Can anyone get to the top in 2 hours? I'd really like to see that to believe it.

I'm also curious how it was done. Particularly the descent part, they either had to cut switchbacks or go above 10 mph for much of the distance.

There's a LA Times article from 1991 that describes a record-setting trip by a ranger named Marty Hornick (mountaineer's route, 2:08 to the top, 3:23 total), and says that the previous fastest time was 2:17 to the top via main trail. Also in 1991, some guy named Vernon Morris apparently did the main trail round trip in "just over" 3:20. 2:17 may or may not have been his ascent time.

In 2002, Jason Lakey (also a ranger, I think) did MR in 2:09 to the top and 3:10 total.

Doug Sr of WPS should be the most knowledgeable person about these and other attempts.

tdtz #25335 06/22/12 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: tdtz

Any competitors must follow last year's TDTZ adventure route and catch one golden trout at LPL before returning to WP.

I am SO in!! grin grin grin

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
tdtz #25337 06/22/12 12:34 PM
tdtz.... wow, the "TD Adventure Route". I'm not sure if anyone could do that. Most hikers would [b]bleed to death on that route[/b]. I do like the trout idea....
I'm in too!

p.s. I hear the TD Adventure Route has the same difficulty as the "JQ Baldy Bowl Summer Route". What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
MooseTracks #25342 06/22/12 02:45 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Originally Posted By: tdtz

I am SO in!! grin grin grin

And we won't even need permits, Burchey will be so happy laugh

If my son's team wins tomorrow, we won't have a game on Sunday and I will be heading up for a little hike....even if it is just to LPL with a fishing pole.

quillansculpture #25343 06/22/12 02:48 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
tdtz.... wow, the "TD Adventure Route". I'm not sure if anyone could do that. Most hikers would bleed to death on that route. I do like the trout idea....
I'm in too!

p.s. I hear the TD Adventure Route has the same difficulty as the "JQ Baldy Bowl Summer Route". What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

wait wait wait....I've got Laura AND JQ? This is turning into a celebrity event now!!!

I've got this vision of the JQ Baldy Bowl where bowling balls are being rolled down on us as we hike up. As a matter of fact, we've got to start a bowling alley called "The Baldy Bowl"

(sorry, free association is taking over)

wagga #25376 06/24/12 03:25 PM
Several comments on doing a triple:

I would define it as three round trips, all within one calendar day. That way, you only need one permit. Any route counts.

There is plenty of water along the way, and you only need to carry enough food for one round trip on each climb. I see no need for support along the way. I'm not sure that receiving support is cheating, but it certainly costs you a bunch of style points. On the other hand, there is no problem having someone handy to make sure you don't collapse and die on the third descent.

Doug and I once had a discussion of the fastest way up. We agreed that it was to solo up the East Buttress and descend the Mountaineers' Route. That assumes you're skilled enough to solo the buttress. I'm not, and never was. The second fastest way up is to solo the East Face. That used to be within my ability, and I once got up in 3:29 from the Portal. 6:00, car to car, including a half-hour break on the summit. I'm not that fast or that brave anymore.

I believe the record of ~2 hours up and ~3 hours round trip used the Mountaineers' Route both ways.

I did my only double two years ago in 19:50, including rest time at the Portal. I never swore not to do it again, but I doubt that I ever will.

RichardP was contemplating a triple at one point. He concluded that he might be able to do three trips without stopping, but the time would be well over 24 hours. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do three trips, and I would be slower than Richard if I did.

I have no doubt that it can be done. After all, Shasta has been done six times in 24 hours (RT from the Sierra Club Hut, not the trailhead).

bobpickering #25387 06/24/12 11:11 PM
S
S
> I have no doubt that it can be done. After all, Shasta has been done six times in 24 hours (RT from the Sierra Club Hut, not the trailhead).

Wasn't that Shasta 6x done by a ranger who used skis to descend?

bobpickering #25398 06/25/12 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: bobpickering
I did my only double two years ago in 19:50, including rest time at the Portal. I never swore not to do it again, but I doubt that I ever will.

I may have mis-quoted you Bob, but my impression was that you were in no hurry to do it again - understandably!

Steve C #25401 06/25/12 05:38 PM
Steve:

I understand that he stashed three pairs of skis near the summit for three of the descents. He probably boot-skied down the other three times.

That brings up another proposal relating to receiving support: You can use any legal means to ascend and descend, but you must carry everything yourself. No caches allowed, skis or otherwise. Similarly, you must bring everything out that you take in, including WAG bags. (When I did my double, I just barely made it back to the portal after the first trip without using my WAG bag.)

bobpickering #25472 06/28/12 03:46 PM
D
D
I have no doubts i can do it in the winter from either side but then i am skiing which is not the topic we have a date and we are going for it we will let you know how it works out

MW85

Davey McCoy #25475 06/28/12 04:16 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: mountainwalker85
we have a date and we are going for it we will let you know how it works out

MW85

No pictures, it didn't happen!

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #25489 06/29/12 06:16 AM
D
D
You want pictures of the sunrise, flowers , peeps , cables, rocks? Or the summit register...though we have to bring one up because there hasn't been one up there for quite some time! We will even take a picture of the Garmin history and post it . But remember, this is for us, not for the world. if we get lucky enough to make it will be a great feeling...it might say we trained well and we are a great team...if we don't it will still be great as I will be with my best friend on our favorite Mountain so to us it will be a great day filled with suffering and most of all team work and adventure.. Peace

MW85

Davey McCoy #25507 06/29/12 10:50 PM
R
R
I'm bettin you two make it. Enjoy the advenyure and challenge.

Update: Whitney Triple: mission accomplished

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard