Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coming Some Day Report
RoguePhotonic #28144 09/28/12 01:00 PM
OP Offline
Since I am not sure when I will get any story up here is at least some photos from the first 3 weeks:

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3

RoguePhotonic #29054 11/10/12 02:55 PM
OP Offline
Still need to work on a report but following up on more images:

Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8

RoguePhotonic #29063 11/10/12 07:48 PM
B
B
The Brownstone Mine main portal has been sealed by the USFS. You might be able to enter through a small portal at a lower elevation just off the trail, near one of the switch-backs, but I don't advise it. There is also an old exploration edit that starts near the Pine Creek mine main portal, which extends all the way under the primary work area of the Brown Stone mine, going under Pine Creek, but I don't know its status (a raise-bore was put up near the end of said adit while I was still working there). A former miner at the Pine Creek operation went into the Brownstone Mine last year by that abandoned adit.

Several local climbers have been putting up new routes on the wall to the West of the Brownstone portal. There is a fixed rope hanging in the area. Still secret information...

I'm not sure of the way into the Pine Creek mine to which you refer. The 8100 level (main portal), 1500 level, and A, B, and C portals were closed years ago. There is one portal, for rail cars, near the old mine engineering office, but that adit only goes in a couple of hundred yards or so. The ventilation shafts on top of Wheeler Ridge have either been blasted shut or have collapsed. I received this information from former Pine Creek engineers and geologists, because being a former employee up there I've always wanted to see inside the mine again. There is no longer water of any noticable amount coming our of the 8100 level portal, which is an indication of interior man-made or natural collapse of the adits.

Remember that the Pine Creek and Brownstone mines are private property - trespassing arrest hazard. They don't appreciate casual visitors. I've re-visited the Pine Creek site several times in recent years, but always have to explain that I am a former employee (but promise not to abuse my retiree status).

I'm not doubting your report, but if you have found a way into the Pine Creek mine, where is it? It could be interesting, but risky fun! There is always a danger of "getting slabbed"; miners' slang for being flattened by falling rock...

Last edited by Bob West; 11/10/12 08:10 PM.
RoguePhotonic #29064 11/10/12 08:14 PM
B
B
Somewhere in Big Pine canyon is the rain-fly from a North Face VE-24 tent, which I lost years ago.

RoguePhotonic #29071 11/11/12 02:40 AM
OP Offline
The entrance to the Brownstone Mine I use is inside the tram room where the cable runs back around. At the back of that area is a ladder that goes up into the mine. I didn't know about any way in near the switch backs. The hole you speak of from Pine Creek probably connects to the drill hole.

As for the Pine Creek Mine i'd rather not say where it is. There is always the chance that word can get around and the mine will be closed off. I don't mind mentioning how to get inside Brownstone because I have explored everything that can be done without climbing gear which was plenty enough for me.

RoguePhotonic #29073 11/11/12 08:38 AM
B
B
I've read your report at Sierra Topix; interesting stuff.

The door you entered has since been sealed off by the USFS. Probably just as well; it isn't really safe in there, even if it gives the appearance of being solid. Maybe word got around that people were going inside and the USFS got nervous.

The Pine Creek portal you found is probably the old 1500 level portal (1500 feet above the Pine Creek mill site), which was blasted shut, but I guess they haven't gone back to check it in quite a while. Deeper into that adit (tunnel) you will find a large metal "air-door" which was part of a system for controlling ventilation inside the mine (to clear out radon gas inside the mine). If the air door is closed you won't be able to proceed further. If you can hear air coming out, the door might be open. If you are able to go further into the adit, it is shored up with steel and timber, but possibly flooded in some places. Have fun!

RoguePhotonic #29076 11/11/12 12:34 PM
OP Offline
You mean the entrance to Brownstone Mine I used has been closed after I used it this year? If so I'm not sure how they would close it off other then to blast it shut or take the ladder down.

The 1500 foot level you speak of I assume is zero level. That main adit is indeed blasted shut although if you go up to the rock air is roaring through it so the door you speak of in there must be open.

The entrance I found also had air roaring out of it.

Although it's incomplete many of the photos from Brownstone Mine can be found in Week 13

I also have lots of videos from inside the mine but it will probably take me awhile to do anything with them since I have to first learn how to edit videos.

I'd love it if we could get a 3D map of Wheeler Ridge with the Pine Creek tunnels in it.

RoguePhotonic #29078 11/11/12 02:01 PM
B
B
No, the main portal entrance is closed with some kind of heavy spray-on ensulation. Where is the smaller door you used? Is it to the left or right of the closed portal? There are at least three small entrances up on the face just to the right of the closed portal, that the miners used to access via wooden ladders.

Ok, I just looked at your photos...now I'm confused, but nothing unusual about that...

Did you find the water pipe just down hill from the portal? Good, fresh H2O. There is also a nice rock fire ring outside the closed portal, with a rock bench for sitting or sleeping.

Yes, Zero level and 1500 level are one in the same, I believe.

Now you've got me thinking about more exploring there next Summer. Hmmm...

Last edited by Bob West; 11/11/12 02:05 PM.
RoguePhotonic #29080 11/11/12 05:00 PM
OP Offline
At Brownstone if you go left from the closed off adit there is a mostly collapsed building. You climb through the mess and you will be inside the tramway room where the cable would turn and run back down the mountain. At the back of this room about 6 feet off the ground is a ladder that leads up into the mine itself. It's a bit difficult to get onto the structure that the ladder sits on but it can be done. Inside this room is a collapsed ladder system leading 30 feet up to the first portal on the cliff walls. I climbed up ladder systems and was able to get onto the level with the second portal leading out on the cliffs but I did not go to the opening because the bridge system that led to it looked sketchy. From that opening is an ore chute and a ladder system that isn't in very good shape that went up as far as I could see. That probably leads to the final level and exit.

Half of Brownstone mine is dry and the ladders are in good shape. The other half is completely soaked. Two years ago there was so much water that I could not even get into one whole area of the mine but on this low snow year I was able to explore it. The ladders in that section are completely rotted though.

I did indeed find the pipe coming out of the wall. That was a great source to get water from. I camped at the mine itself using the nice fire pit with that rock bench. I had to build a place to set up a tent though so there is at least one now.

RoguePhotonic #29084 11/12/12 08:08 AM
B
B
Ok thanks; now it's clear. That entrance isn't as obvious from the trail. Guess I need to go inside next Summer.

Yes, I saw your tent site.

Happy exploring!

Last edited by Bob West; 11/12/12 08:09 AM.
RoguePhotonic #29088 11/12/12 01:56 PM
OP Offline
I'd recommend exploring Brownstone while you can. The ladder that goes up into the mine is still plenty safe to use but it's starting to show wear. Down the road it will fall apart.

Most of the mine is nice and safe to explore. Solid granite walls with no sign of cave ins. Fresh air flowing through it and no signs of mice droppings other then on the second level.

Seeing the drill hole alone is worth the visit.

RoguePhotonic #29091 11/12/12 02:42 PM
B
B
The vertically drilled hole was created with a machine called a "raise-borer". That's why the sides look relatively smooth. It would have eventually been, with further work, turned into a "ore pass." Blasted rock would then be dropped down into the ore pass, breaking into smaller pieces on the way down. At the bottom of the ore pass would be a large metal grate, which could be opened to allow ore to be transported by rail cars or a front-end loaders. This ore pass would have been about 1,500 feet deep.

In the case of this particular mine, the ore would have been transported by rail to the portal, and then moved to the Pine Mine crusher system for further processing.

When the price of tungsten collapsed, the company decided not to proceed with further operations in the Brown Stone mine.

I should probably have a chat with the experienced, retired miners who still work at Pine Creek, to get their opinion of the condition of the interior of the Brown Stone mine, before venturing into possible danger. Better safe than sorry, eh?. Remember what was said about space travel: "In the silence of space, no one can hear you scream." Same applies to underground mines.

Have you ever considered studying for a mine engineering degree? Colorado and Nevada schools of mines offer excellent courses.

RoguePhotonic #29093 11/12/12 03:52 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the insight. I wondered how that thing would have been drilled since it's 8 feet wide.

It is very true that no one will find you under ground. I explored Ubehebe TALC Mine in Death Valley and that was one of the most dangerous mines I ever climbed through. Down one hallway all the beams holding the back up were broken and in a V shape. I still climbed down through it though. Although the video on that adventure sucks here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKMxV2zOIqg&feature=plcp

Nope I never considered mine engineering. Sounds like both a fun and challenging field. I left school far too long ago for me to consider anything requiring it.

RoguePhotonic #29096 11/12/12 07:41 PM
B
B
Raise bores are tricky technology.

Here is an excellent explanation:

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=1383

Another example from an Italian company:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_A9irzSh4Q&feature=related

One more - a really large machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLZcUkF55I&feature=related

The machine used in the Brown Stone mine had to be small enough to fit through the portal and adit; perhaps an Alimak machine.

RoguePhotonic #29145 11/15/12 06:11 PM
OP Offline

RoguePhotonic #29177 11/17/12 07:33 PM
OP Offline

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard