Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
2 members (VA Traveler, 1 invisible), 239 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rock Creek to Whitney and back in 6 days
#29662 01/22/13 05:04 PM
OP Offline
To those with WAY more experience then me.
Is it possible to backpack from rock creek to crab tree, to trail crest summit then back same route in 6 days? If not, what would you suggest?
Thanks so much

Tina - A REAL Orange County Housewife (Okay so I don't stay home)
Re: Rock Creek to Whitney and back in 6 days
1982jeep #29663 01/22/13 05:17 PM
B
B
Are you kidding? If you are referring to the Rock Creek trailhead (Mosquito Flat) north of Bishop, then the one-way mileage from there to the summit of Whitney is about 130+ miles. So...over 260 miles in six days, including multiple high passes? Possible, if you are an ultra-marathoner and have support crews.

Or is it another Rock Creek to which you refer?

Bob West #29664 01/22/13 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob West
Are you kidding? If you are referring to the Rock Creek trailhead (Mosquito Flat) north of Bishop, then the one-way mileage from there to the summit of Whitney is about 130+ miles. So...over 260 miles in six days, including multiple high passes? Possible, if you are an ultra-marathoner and have support crews.

Or is it another Rock Creek to which you refer?

Rock Creek is a drainage into Kern Canyon just SW of Whitney (one of the areas of SEKI where bear canisters are REQUIRED, BTW) accessible from Cotton Wood, Army, New Army etc. I haven't done it, but its Trip 81 in Sierra South . 6 days to Trail Camp (pretty modest daily mileage) . Looks like it could be done out and back in 6 days, but if I were doing it I'd shuttle between WP and HM and go one way.

If you really mean just from Rock Creek, as a side trip, then its an easy RT, but I am assuming you mean from the TH, by way of Rock Creek not just from Rock Creek.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #29665 01/22/13 07:34 PM
R
R
I'm doing NAP through Miter Basin up Crabtree pass to Whitney then down to the portal in July. I'm planning starting Thursday morning and being in the portal Sunday sometime.

Your trip should be doable as I believe mine is 35 miles one way.

1982jeep #29666 01/22/13 08:08 PM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
Tina:

Yep. Day one Horseshoe to Rock Creek via Cottonwood.
Day Two RC to Crabtree or Guitar
Day Three Guitar to Whitney and back to Guitar
Day Four to RC (or hang out).
Day Five etc... .

You've kinda got an extra half day/full day in there.

I wouldn't suggest Crabtree Pass to Whitney via Miter Basin. Looks good on paper, but not worth it without a fair amount of experience and route-finding ability.

Have a good trip.

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #29688 01/23/13 05:20 PM
W
W
What George said but I used Army Pass. I truly hate Cottonwood Pass and if clear of snow Army is my pass of choice. If I had to use New Army, I use the South Fork Trail and cross country through the South Fork Lakes and rejoin the trail near Long Lake...it cuts off about a mile and a lot of the ups and downs of the yak trail.

Also, I prefer hiking down Rock Creek rather than across Siberian Outpost.

wbtravis #29704 01/24/13 07:13 PM
K
K
we did one way in July 2012, started from Horseshoe Meadows, New Army Pass, rock ck RS, Crab Tree RS, Guitar Lake and all the way down to WP. Took it very leisurely as a warm up hike before the last 90 miles of JMT from Edison Lake to Onion V. Yes its doable!

Krishna #29720 01/26/13 09:03 PM
A
ape Offline
A
I like George's itinerary and as he mentioned you have a little extra time, For variety and acclimation I would go this way. My mileages are rough but all easy 1 day hikes with the exception of summit day and the last day but you'll be in great shape by then. On summit day you will only need to carry plenty of water and a day pack so not that bad.

Horseshoe to Long Lake - easy first day. About 6 miles.
Long lake to Rock Creek via New Army Pass - About 10 miles.
Rock Creek to Guitar Lake - about 10 miles.
Guitar to Whitney and back to Guitar - EARLY am start - about 10 - 12 miles
Guitar back to Rock Creek - 10 miles
Rock Creek back to Horseshoe Meadows via Cottonwood pass. 12 miles. Kind of boring but you'll be light and fast and at least get to see some different terrain.

I would prefer to exit via Whitney Portal but those trailcrest exit permits are hard to come by. If you threw in 1 extra day you could do a fine through hike by exiting at Kearsarge pass and Onion Valley. You just continue north from Guitar on the JMT. Camping spots would be Tyndal creek, Vidette Meadows and out. Be 3 10 mile days through some pretty awesome scenery.

Link Copied to Clipboard