0 members (), 212 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just Can't Catch a Break . . .
#29824 02/10/13 10:43 AM
OP Offline
Hi all! Been a few months since I've posted anything other than brief responses on the board, but I haven't gone away - I've been haunting regularly. My plans for 2012 included a minimum of two trips to Cali with either my family or John (catpappy) - or both - but between family commitments and work crises four separate trip plans went down the toilet over the course of the year. Very discouraging - I began to wonder if I'd ever get back to the California mountains, especially since I had managed to do so for ten straight years prior to 2012.

When my latest plans fell through in August of last year, to climb the Whitney MR with Joe Q and John, I pretty much gave up and didn't hit a mountain or gym for most of 4 months. Needless to say, I'm paying for that now that I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. My first 2013 goal is to shed the 10 holiday pounds I managed to pick up since October. The second is to get back in reasonable hiking condition, and then finally into climbing shape. Before I threw in the towel back in August I was regularly getting 4-6K' of gain on workout days. It's been a struggle to get 2K' in a day since I re-committed after the new year. The mountain that I've used for regular workouts the past ten years is pretty damn crowded, but I always prided myself on rarely being passed except by trail runners (and John - he's an aerobic beast). It's been humbling the last few weeks, but I've been here many times before and I know I'll be back in shape in a couple of months if I stay on track. I keep telling myself that over and over . . .

So John and I put our heads together in January and decided to head to Death Valley for a few climbs in late February. Finally - back in the saddle! We're snakebit though - in this case, he had a pressing family situation pop up that caused us to delay the trip till maybe April. I've made a habit of hiking DV in winter, but never as late as April. I know things begin to heat up by then and the park closes the valley campgrounds, but I expect we can get to a higher-elevation campground - maybe up Wildrose - that's still reasonably cool. The heights should still be OK. We don't have an itinerary yet, but John's not climbed Telescope Peak and is really jonesing to do it, so that's a priority. We'll definitely hit DV Buttes again - that's a really fun, short class 3 climb (or knee-knocking C4, depending on route). We were also looking at the possibilities of Ubehebe Peak and maybe Pyramid Peak for scrambling opportunities. Joe Q plans to join us, and now that he has the Final 400 under his belt he's not so averse to doing some C3/4 stuff. Any thoughts or feedback on these or other DV climbs/hikes are always welcome. One of my favorite hikes in the park - Keane Wonder Mine/Chloride City - is still closed for environmental cleanup and safety concerns, dammit!

Anyway, while I've kept up with many of you through Facebook or e-mail during 2012, one of the biggest draws about California for myself, my family, and John is the people. We've made so many wonderful friends out there in the hiking/climbing community over the past few years - half the fun of these trips is catching up with with old friends and meeting new ones. When John and I lock down dates, I'll update the thread with more detail. Anyone who can see their way clear to DV when we're there is always welcome to hit the trail with us, or just enjoy a brew and a laugh at the campground. Several board members can testify to the hilarious result that can be had by combining John, a cooler full of strong porter beer, and an expertly-tended campfire . . .

And yes, we plan to resume our family climbing vacation to the Sierra in July. I still need to get my wife and daughter to the Whitney summit hut - rather than just looking at it from a mile away before turning back due to icing concerns. That was a tough one to swallow.

Gary

Re: Just Can't Catch a Break . . .
Bulldog34 #29825 02/10/13 11:34 AM
Telescope peak...yum yum...on my bucket list, though probably will miss you if you come out in April....

Hey, the mountains are waiting for you! They seem pretty patient....

Bulldog34 #29826 02/10/13 12:09 PM
It's great to hear from you, Gary! I was beginning to worry that you might have jumped off a bridge or something after that kid from Nevada sent the Falcons home early.

I've been working on that "peak a week" assignment you gave me in late 2011. Last week's twofer brought the ratio down to 7.30 days / 10K summit since 1987.

I don't know about DV, but I'll try to join you for a summit or two in July.

Bob

Bulldog34 #29828 02/10/13 12:28 PM
Bee Offline
....Just keep in mind that many of us do not have Facebook and never will...! (drop in now and then)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Akichow #29832 02/10/13 08:14 PM
OP Offline
Yeah Karin, I knew when we began looking at April that you had Nepal on the docket and figured the chances were slim you'd be able to get away. Have a blast in the Himalaya and bring back lots of pix. Hopefully we can catch up in July!

Bob, you'll get there soon, my friend! Your 20-plus-year record is unbelievable as it stands, but when you hit that number it'll be hard to match. For those wondering what we're talking about, Bob is closing in on averaging one 10K' peak summit (minimum) per week for over 20 years. Think about that for a second, and do the math. Amazing! He also has an incredible record of consecutive successful summits, despite my attempt to halt it with a bad shoulder on the 3rd pitch of Cathedral Peak back in 2011 . . .

Bob, if I don't see you in April, count on July. If I can get back into climbing shape, I may be ready for a Cathedral rematch . . .

Bee, you should reconsider FB. It's all in how you use it. You don't need to be swept up with the crowd, but it's sure convenient to be able to keep up with what people are climbing and hiking on a regular basis. I posted one night last week about the up-in-the-air DV status for John and I, and by the time the evening was over there were a half dozen excellent people (you know who you are) spontaneously involved in an enormous thread working out alternatives for us. Oh yeah, and we had more laughs doing it than I've had in a long time! Either way, though, I'll be on the boards more often now that 2012 is behind me and I have reasonably firm plans for a couple of Cali trips.

Bulldog34 #29833 02/10/13 08:44 PM
C
C
Gary, good stuff. You certainly had more than your share of snags last year. I think you should be snag free for the next few years. And don't worry we'll get in shape. As things look, I could most likely make plans for a March trip. But, if April is better that's fine too.

John

Bulldog34 #29847 02/12/13 12:32 AM
R
R
I've got some vacation days that I have to use before mid May. Maybe I should go to Death Valley. Some questions:

1. What's the weather like between now and mid May there? When would be the best time?

2. Is Telescope Peak the best hike there?

3. I don't camp. How would that work for me?

RenoFrank #29849 02/12/13 04:39 AM
OP Offline
Frank, the best time to catch DV's offerings is late Feb through March. Daytime temps are mild in the valley - 70s to 80s versus 120s in the summer - and the air is super clear, without that heat-haze you constantly see from May to September. Temps up high and at night are not bad at all - low 30s are the worst I've experienced in 7 years of tripping out there that time of year. It's a totally different park when the heat is gone, and an under-appreciated gem.

Telescope can be done in early spring, but it's very, very dangerous most years. The final ridge to the summit, which is just a class 1 huffer in the summer, is narrow, steep, and precipitous. It tends to be glazed with ice and even experienced winter mountaineers die there. Climbing Telescope safely is best done when the snow/ice is mostly off the trail - May to October. Wildrose Peak, 2000 feet lower, is a much better bet in late winter/early spring and affords mostly the same views. Our plans for Telescope are tentatively based on what beta we can get just prior: any ice reported, and we go to Plan B.

Telescope/Bennett/Rogers and Wildrose are the only two maintained alpine trails in the park. All of the many other peaks are accessed by use trails or class 2-4 routes. There are a zillion good canyon hikes in the park if you enjoy that.

If you don't camp, you have extremely limited options. There are two lodging facilities at Furnace Creek and a small one at Stovepipe Wells. Just like gas in the park, though, they are very pricey.

Bulldog34 #29851 02/12/13 10:13 AM
S
S
Frank, Furnace Creek is a good place to stay -- did that about 10 years ago. There is a restaurant or two and other facilities. The pool at Furnace Creek is heated via natural warm spring water, something I'd highly recommend.

Here's the satellite view (link)

Steve C #29994 02/25/13 09:18 AM
OP Offline
Our dates are finally locked and loaded. We'll arrive in DV on Wed 3/19 and depart Sun afternoon 3/24. No firm itinerary yet, but Sat 3/23 would be a great day for a group hike somewhere. Maybe Wildrose, Corkscrew, Pyramid, or Ubehebe Peaks? Telescope is likely to still be very icy and treacherous in March, so we're passing on that. Suggestions welcome, as are any folks that want to ramble with us on any of those dates.

Gary

Link Copied to Clipboard