Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
west chute question
#31091 04/26/13 05:04 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Does anyone know main trail conditions above trail camp? Our original plan was to take the main trail to trail camp then summit the next day via the main trail. I am realizing now with two weeks left it is likely not passable and if it is, it would be a sufferfest.

Many here are advising to take the west chute. I have only been on Whitney in snow free conditions. Forgive the gumby question but where and how would I locate the west chute from the main trail? Is it obvious when near the switchbacks past trail camp? How do I access this from the main trail? or must you be on the MR to access the chute?

Also, how many more chutes (if any) will lead to the summit or does it meet up with the main trail at the crest?

Is the west chute something to be undertaken only by experienced mountaineers? I have summited angels landing, Zion in the dead of winter under 3 ft of snow when the chains were iced in crampons and have hiked, climbed most everywhere in the states including Alaska. I am not familiar with steep chutes however. I know how to use an axe, crampons, snow shoes, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: west chute question
Ccompass #31092 04/26/13 06:20 PM
Look at picture at: http://lwp.smugmug.com/photos/574024162_oYXG8-O.jpg

This is the view looking up at the switchbacks (numbered in the photo), with the "chute" on the north side (right side in photo). You can clearly see tracks in the chute. Both paths lead to Trail Crest. The top is another 2 hours (or so) from Trail Crest along the back side of the Sierras. The chute does require crampons, ice Axe, and self arrest skills. The chute is steep. Failing to self arrest would ruin your day.
See fairly recent trip report here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/30859/Mt_Whitney_Trail_Conditions_Po#Post30859, then follow the link within this post.

Much more information is available on the web site. Click a few buttons.For instance, check out the following link. Several very good pictures of the chute found in NYker's trip reports. (found within the following link).

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/31079/Mt_Whitney_late_spring#Post31079

In two weeks you may be able to just hike via the switchbacks, and perhpaps microspikes would be sufficient (or even not needed). Keep checking. There are trip reports posted every week (although not always under "trip reports". Sometimes a new topic is added that reports on conditions.

John Sims #31093 04/26/13 08:05 PM
C
OP Offline
C
John,

Thanks for the quick reply. The second link(s) were really helpful. Great shot of the chute. I know exactly where it is now. The pics of the vert angle on the chute were also good to see. I don't like going into something not knowing what to expect. This can be the difference between an epic and a smooth day. May just be the climber in me. Thanks again

John Sims #31094 04/26/13 11:08 PM
S
S
Great answer John! thanks

Steve C #31097 04/27/13 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Great answer John! thanks

You are welcome!

You taught me well:-)

Link Copied to Clipboard