Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oz Family Visiting California & Yosemite
#35712 04/10/14 01:46 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
A family with children from Cairns will be visiting California next month. They will be renting a motor-home and would be interested in local knowledge, and possibly meeting up with some Zoners. They will be in San Diego, up the coast to Sausalito (Good camping sites there?) and finally Yosemite. Carl & Steve C are cooking up a possible Panorama Trail day. Any thoughts?

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: Oz Family Visiting California & Yosemite
wagga #35720 04/10/14 07:09 AM
Are they traveling north from SD up the PCH and Big Sur? Absolutely the way to go. Sausalito is a pretty developed area generally, on the bay just above San Fran. AS long as they are coming this far, I would highly recommend Point Reyes nearby, a fabulous National Seashore, and maybe a stop at Muir Woods. Also on the same stretch of coast is Bodega Bay, Sonoma Coast State Beach (both in my neighborhood) which would give them a bit of a cruise through wine country when they head east to Yos. I am in what is known as West County (although I'll be in Indonesia much of next month) and would be glad to meet them if I am here.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Re: Oz Family Visiting California & Yosemite
saltydog #35739 04/10/14 09:57 AM
C
C
I second Salt's recommendations for the coast drive and some beautiful areas in NorCal. I visited all of the places he mentioned when we lived up north, and all are definitely worth a visit!

If they're hoping to spend time on the beach, I'd recommend beaches south of Los Angeles. They're more laid back, often less crowded and the water's typilcally warmer the further south you go. I like several beaches in San Diego county, and there are some nice places in Orange County, too. DM me if you/they want specifics; we spend a lot of time on the beach, and have visited many smile

Should be an awesome trip for them! Is this their first visit to California?

Link Copied to Clipboard