Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking For A Backpacking Permits for Two
#37481 06/16/14 11:43 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hey guys, I just found this forum and I'm so pleased I did!

I'm fairly new to CA and two weeks ago I went to Yosemite for the first time which was one of the best experiences of my life. It's always been a dream of mine to backpack there and I wasn't disappointed. On our way out we met a girl who was doing the JMT for 40 days and that's when I got the idea to hike Mt. Whitney. Short notice, sure, but I thought maybe we could get lucky this summer.

So needless to say, my girlfriend and I are looking to do Mt. Whitney sometime this summer (we're VERY flexible) so if anyone has an opening we'd love to join.

But aside from that, has anyone had any luck getting backpacking permits on the day of? It seems a bit risky to drive all the way out there with no permits hoping someone doesn't show up, no? If anyone has any knowledge or experience with that I'd love to hear.

Re: Looking For A Backpacking Permits for Two
thirtyone #37485 06/16/14 12:43 PM
S
S
Yes, you can get a permit and hike Whitney, almost any day.

Look at box 6, No Fee Permit Options, in the "Wilderness Permit Options" link to the left. Also, Google "Unused Whitney Permits" to get an idea of how many are available.

Also, there is a huge amount of info in the Orientation Notes, too. Please learn about altitude sickness, so you are aware when you go.

Link Copied to Clipboard