Next Thread
Print Thread
June 15th Glissade
#37490 06/16/14 03:19 PM
M
Mastiff Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Glissaded down on Sunday 6/15. The snow did not make it all the way to trail crest, so we had to climb down the dirt and rocks to get to the snow line (maybe 50 feet). My friend and I had our ice axes, but had never glissaded or done self arrest before. We felt somewhat comfortable since we knew the technique from research online.

I didn't realize how tall and steep it was until I was a few hundred feet down when I suddenly remembered I was afraid of heights. Holy crap that is a long way down and steep as hell! We just took it slow and kept practicing self arrest all the way down. We got the hang of pretty quickly, and I can now say I am pretty comfortable doing self arrest from that position. The ride was pretty freaky to me, but maybe its just because I'm a wimp. My friend said he would have gone faster if I hadn't have been on top of him to slow down.

I can't imagine doing it without an ice axe. Once you get going, there is no way to stop except arresting. I don't even understand how you could use hiking pole to stop yourself. And this time of year there are big piles of rocks waiting to stop you uncomfortably at the bottom if you are unable to stop yourself.

Does anyone know how steep and tall it is? We were guessing around 2000 feet and 45 degrees.

Also, we had to scramble over rocks for maybe a half mile to find a way to Trail Camp. What is the easiest way to get over there when you get to the bottom of the glissade?

Thanks to all the posters we were somewhat prepared. Thank you!

Re: June 15th Glissade
Mastiff #37492 06/16/14 03:29 PM
S
S
> there are big piles of rocks waiting to stop you uncomfortably at the bottom if you are unable to stop yourself

That's the understatement of the day. People die when they hit those rocks.

Looking at the late Wayne Pyle's 99 switchbacks diagram, the slope drops about a thousand feet, maybe 1200. Slopes always seem steeper than they really are. I don't think it is 45 degrees. Not sure if anyone has measured it.

Steve C #37506 06/16/14 07:36 PM
M
Mastiff Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Steve C
>
Looking at the late Wayne Pyle's 99 switchbacks diagram, the slope drops about a thousand feet, maybe 1200. Slopes always seem steeper than they really are. I don't think it is 45 degrees. Not sure if anyone has measured it.

Thanks, cool diagram! I need to work on deciphering it, but it looks useful. smile

Mastiff #37509 06/16/14 08:03 PM

63ChevyII.com #37511 06/16/14 08:49 PM
M
Mastiff Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Wow! Great diagram! Thanks!

63ChevyII.com #37514 06/16/14 10:02 PM
Bee Offline
What does the light blue/aqua line that follows the crest represent?

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #37515 06/16/14 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Bee
What does the light blue/aqua line that follows the crest represent?

I believe that's the Sequoia Nat'l Park boundary

Originally Posted By: Mastiff
Wow! Great diagram! Thanks!

No problem

63ChevyII.com #37522 06/16/14 11:52 PM
D
D
I saw the 6-12 pic of the chute. I saw the upper end of the track this morning in the moonlight on the way to the summit. I saw the full track on the way down this morning. I was REALLY bummed I left my ax in the truck! Nicely done!!!

Mastiff #37983 06/25/14 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Mastiff
Glissaded down on Sunday 6/15.

My friend and I had our ice axes, but had never glissaded or done self arrest before. We felt somewhat comfortable since we knew the technique from research online.

I didn't realize how tall and steep it was until I was a few hundred feet down when I suddenly remembered I was afraid of heights. Holy crap that is a long way down and steep as hell! We just took it slow and kept practicing self arrest all the way down. We got the hang of pretty quickly, and I can now say I am pretty comfortable doing self arrest from that position. The ride was pretty freaky to me, but maybe its just because I'm a wimp. My friend said he would have gone faster if I hadn't have been on top of him to slow down.

I can't imagine doing it without an ice axe. Once you get going, there is no way to stop except arresting. I don't even understand how you could use hiking pole to stop yourself. And this time of year there are big piles of rocks waiting to stop you uncomfortably at the bottom if you are unable to stop yourself.

Does anyone know how steep and tall it is? We were guessing around 2000 feet and 45 degrees.

Also, we had to scramble over rocks for maybe a half mile to find a way to Trail Camp. What is the easiest way to get over there when you get to the bottom of the glissade?

Thanks to all the posters we were somewhat prepared. Thank you!

I am extremely conflicted about this response. You'll see why.

Any competent mountaineer will tell what you did was nuts. No, I am sorry but you did NOT "know the technique from research online". You may have had some theoretical understanding of it, but you did not know it. Your comfort was completely illusory. By prudent, professional standards.

Now, the reason I am conflicted is because I have done much worse. Twice. When I was much younger, I hit ideal conditions on the chute twice: soft, deep corn snow in late morning or early afternoon, under a hot sun, and rode my pack down. External frame, so I could use the rails of the frame as both runners and brakes. No Ice axe. No training or experience or online. Not even a Holiday Inn Express.

Worked beautifully.

But only because I, like you, was extremely lucky. I hit the soft snow conditions that you can count on for about 15 minutes a day on this snowfield.

Please folks, don't do like us dogs: both Mastiff and SaltyDog just lucked out here. A sane, reasonable person does NOT glissade and self arrest for the first time on this slope. Some dead people have, but they are not posting here, are they?

As for getting back to TC, after the glissade - if you live - the only way on your feet is to scramble over rocks for maybe a half mile. GIven your approach, its often by Stokes basket.

BTW: it did not get freaky because you are a wimp. It got freaky, because - contrary to the poplar aphorism - you CAN fix stupid. Congratulations.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard