Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rescuers search for 15 missing hikers in California
+ @ti2d #40965 11/12/14 11:17 AM
W
W
I have heard the term meetupf...up more than a few times from SAR people. The religious do not have a monopoly on this type of thing.

BruinDave #40973 11/13/14 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: BruinDave
Thank you, HikinJim, for the fine information you provide on the various stove options. Very much appreciated.
You're welcome. Glad someone reads at least some of my stuff. smile

Originally Posted By: BruinDave
Re this church group, it has been widely reported that they were in the upper Eaton Canyon, an area where the falls are located (i.e., between Idelhour Camp and down to the canyon floor) and which has been off limits for several months now.
I'm not sure where the heck they were. I keep hearing that they were outside the closure. I sure don't know of any falls to go rapelling at that are outside the closure. Who knows with news reports. The news reports say that these guys were "experienced" and that they were "hikers". Well, it sure doesn't look like they knew what they were doing, and they were attempting canyoneering rather than hiking.

I think the news media reports anyone who moves around in any fashion as a "hiker." I always cringe when they call kids with spray paint and such, "hikers."

HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim #40975 11/13/14 10:52 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: hikin_jim
The news reports say that these guys were "experienced" and that they were "hikers". Well, it sure doesn't look like they knew what they were doing, and they were attempting canyoneering rather than hiking.

I think the news media reports anyone who moves around in any fashion as a "hiker." I always cringe when they call kids with spray paint and such, "hikers."

Today's B.C. comic strip hits the nail on the head...

As for church groups: From my experience with such groups, often a few are experienced as far as taking care of themselves, but then they organize a mass group trip, filled by one-timers and first-timers, and the experienced don't often realize what they have on their hands.

Steve C #40976 11/13/14 12:26 PM
I continue to be amused and dismayed by the use of such terms as "to go rappelling" to describe discrete activities, separate from mountaineering or climbing. I have lived, hiked and climbed through an era when "rock climbing" and its various derivative (ice climbing, sport climbing, etc) activities evolved as separate activities from their origin as part of a set of climbing skills.

Perhaps the separation of rappelling as an activity somehow unconnected with other skills required for moving off trail - or off-street, for that matter - contributed to this fiasco.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #41025 11/18/14 09:00 AM
W
W
SD,

I think I want to do it where, when and with whom I want to do it with no matter the skill level contributed greatly to the cavalry being called out. Anyone who hikes the trails of SoCal with a discerning eye can tell you that.

It reminds me of a time I have climbing the northeast ridge of Mt. Baden-Powell with crampons and axe, a guy comes up behind me with his finest tree limbs asks can I join you. My response...NO! This band of tree limb lovers was last seen glissading down an avy chute. Skills and sense need not apply.

Bob West #41122 12/06/14 12:59 AM
No kidding? What morons, a 9 mm will only piss a bear off. You should always carry at least a 45 if you are going to count on a handgun protecting you from a bear.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard