0 members (), 69 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt Tyndall May 23
#42671 05/26/15 10:19 AM
OP Offline
I hiked Mt. Tyndall (14025 feet) on Saturday May 23.

Warm conditions during the day softened the snow considerably and there were a lot of small point release avalanches.

Timesheet:
0630 - Start hiking from Shepherd Pass Trailhead.
0840 - Reach saddle (54 switchbacks from the last Symmes Creek crossing).
1100 - Cross landslide between Mahogany Flat and Anvil Camp.
1205 - Reach "The Pothole"
1430 - Top of Shepherd Pass
1600 - Base of Tyndall
1740 - Summit block
1805 - Summit Tyndall
1845 - Base of Tyndall via glissade.
1930 - Return to camp at WL3661.

I didn't bring a tent or bivy, just a sleeping pad and bag. Saturday night I camped at WL3661 (lake near Shepherd Pass) and there was a snowstorm that night, a few inches fell. I got a bit wet but didn't freeze - the sleeping bag (0 degree down from REI) held up better than I thought it would. I was in a small pit and was surrounded by a foot of snow (due to wind) when I got up in the morning. I was going to attempt Williamson on Sunday morning, but weather prevailed. Due to the fresh snow, conditions weren't good for Williamson and the other campers in the area were bailing on their attempt as well.

Posting pictures from Facebook (let me know if this doesn't work).
Edit: facebook pics didn't work. Here they are from Photobucket.

Entering John Muir Wilderness via Shepherd Pass trail

Massive Mt Williamson

Shepherd Pass trail

Unnamed ridge

Looking toward Shepherd Pass from Mahogany Flat

Shepherd Pass from the bottom of its bowl

Clouds rolling in

Up the snow slope of Shepherd Pass

Heading up Shepherd Pass

Mt Tyndall

Mt Keith

Summit smile

Cloudy summit of Mt Tyndall

Last edited by goldscott; 05/26/15 10:29 AM.
Re: Mt Tyndall May 23
goldscott #42677 05/26/15 06:39 PM
S
S
Great Scott, GoldScott!! From the trail head to Shepherd Pass is 6200 feet of gain, then another 2000' to make the summit!

You did the 6200 with overnight gear, then added the 2000 climb on top! I'm blown away -- that's way more than I could have done in my prime! (Although I DID do T&W both in the same day wink )

So I want to know:
1. What do you do to build up to that level of aerobic condition?
2. How heavy was your pack starting out?

And it is a pretty bold move to camp in snowy conditions with only a down bag.

Re: Mt Tyndall May 23
Steve C #42682 05/26/15 10:30 PM
OP Offline
Hi Steve!

I'm 29 and naturally small/skinny. I try to stay in decent shape, but don't exercise nearly as much as I should. I run like once a month and I just got back into gym climbing once a week. I did San Gorgonio the weekend before, so I had some training and acclimatizing there.

I didn't weigh my pack, but I'm a weight-weenie (coming from the world of cycling). I'm about 125 lbs. so I try to go as light as possible. My pack for that hike was as follows (edit: maybe 15 lbs?):

Osprey Exos 58L pack
REI 0 degree down sleeping bag
Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad
Sea To Summit Aeros inflatable pillow
3L camelpack bladder
First aid kit
Bag of snacks/food
Petzl Sirroco climbing helmet
Black Diamond Raven ice axe
Petzl Sarken crampons
Two headlamps
Arcteryx synthetic insulation jacket
Insulated gloves
Fleece beanie hat

Wearing:
La Sportiva Trango Cube boots
Wool socks
Wool t-shirt
Down jacket
REI stretchy hiking pants
GORE cycling rain pants (used as shell for trudging through snow and glissading)
Thin waterproof gloves
Trekking poles

8000 foot elevation gain was certainly my biggest day so far, but I knew that I was camping out at 12000 feet so I could expend more energy than normal on the way up because I didn't have to come all the way back down. After about 11000 feet I slowed down and didn't push as hard. Reaching the top of Shepherd Pass was absolutely stunning and awe-inspiring. That gave me the motivation I needed to drop off my sleeping gear and head for the summit. Only 2000 more feet straight up a snow ramp - pretty straightforward.

I left my tent in my car because I didn't expect snow. I just wanted to travel light. I'm glad there wasn't more snow/rain - it could've gone a lot worse. I spent much of the night holding the hood of my sleeping bag closed so snow wouldn't blow in, then realized I could stuff my extra jacket in it to block the weather. It worked and though I felt like I woke every hour, I got plenty of sleep.

Also - I forgot a pee bottle and that made sleeping a little uncomfortable, but I didn't want to get up and get dressed in a snow storm.

Last edited by goldscott; 05/26/15 10:32 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard