Hey all,

Time to give back a little of the great info we got from this forum.

Summit Saturday 6/27 12:30 pm (Long) Day Hike
Background: Me 46 yo male good physical condition, run 12 mi a week and walk 15, Daughter 15 yo female good physical condition (lots of soccer). 4:30 am start 8:45 pm finish.

Set up: coming from sf bay area. One day at Tuolumne Meadows. Felt bad no hike, boat ride (saddle back lake and nap 4 hours at 9000-10000 ft, 125mg Diamox, One day at Onion valley hiked 5 mi rt up towards Kearsarge Pass, 250 mg Diamox,

Slept at Hostel in Lone Pine.

Water
Start at portal 3l water each 16 pound pack me 14 daughter. Helpful to have about 2l in a bladder and 1l in a separate bottle(s). We brought 2l of Vitamin water and 1l Gatorade (did not use the electrolyte tabs just mixed the VW and Gatorade). Took on 3l water at the spring before outpost camp. Then 4l at the snowmelt to the south of SW #22, it is visible where the water stops running over these lower switch backs (don't go to past where the stream is running over the SB. We could have filled up right on the trail but opted to go to the source. Used the same sources on the way down. Generally carried 2.5l each after each of these fills. With 2l in bladder and .5 in separate bottle. Lot's of water up until Trail camp.

Gear

Light Hiking boots me, Trail runners her (not water proof). Would have liked a more solid sole on both of these as our feet were quite sore at the end. Don't know if it would have helped after 16:15 on our feet but seems so. Water on the trail easy to avoid getting the feet wet. We had warm temps think it was 62 at start and about 75 at end with summit about 55. Great hiking conditions some clouds. Lots! of sunblock and chap stick with sunblock. She used a wide brimmed Sun hat that was better than my baseball cap. We could have gotten by with a Waterproof/resistant shell (the newish super light weight ones are great) and a base layer but opted to take a lightweight mid layer and shell. Few very thirsty mosquitoes where we used a bit of the 100% deet. Both used modern high quality day packs with bladders. Steri pen is excellent for quick water treatment with this set up. No traction devices or even poles needed now (be crazy IMO to do this w/o poles though).

Cell Phone at Summit only (Verizon) able to send pics.

Used 250mg Diamox at 4am. Just a slight headache from both of us for a short bit at different times. Could have been sun or exertion really no altitude effects to speak of. Ate a sandwich on top. Went through 1400 mg of ibuprofen.

Food: Oatmeal breakfast before leaving) 2 quick lunch salami, cheese and crackers, 1 fat pbj sandwich, 3 cliff bars. Would have been nice to bring more luxury foods. Had a bag of little cookies with the quick lunch that were very tasty. Banana, gorp (with chocolate) would have tasted good. Came back with an extra PBJ. For the PBJ we took the mini Jiff reg and chocolate, the little jellies you get at hotels/restaurants and the bread separate with a plastic knife to make. Shot blocks were very nice to suck on in between. 1 pkg each.

Just got an offer to go again for the full moon at the end of July, see you out there!