So, unexpectedly, I'll be able to get away for a couple of overnight trips this month
I've looked around a bit for overnight permits and predictably, there isn't much available. Here are some of the hikes/places I am thinking about, as well as some questions. I would like to get the group up to 13k+ if possible. I think the group would be better with just 1 night on the trail, but could probably be convinced to spend 2...
1. Langley - Are we likely to grab 3 or 4 overnight permits for Cottonwood Lakes if we show up at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center on a Friday morning? I am open to doing this as a dayhike, but I think overnight might be better for us.
2. What about Kearsarge Pass? What peaks should I consider in this area? How much exposure is there getting to the summit block of Mt. Gould?
3. Mosquito Flats/Little Lakes Valley - what routes/peaks would you look at from this TH?
4. Cloudripper - don't know much about this hike, but I found it on one my 'to hike' lists.
Is JM22 the right trail? Has anyone else her hiked it?
5. Any other suggestions? Would like to keep it to class 2 or easier for the most part, maybe some very easy class 3 or cross country travel, covering < 25 miles (unless the terrain is easy). We live in the Riverside area and hoping to not spend more than 8-10 in the car, roundtrip.
6. What's the difference between an overnight and cross country permits, as far as recreation.gov is concerned?