Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Training for Whitney
jt33 #44025 08/19/15 08:44 AM
B
B
Congrats on your summit success!

I day hike Whitney annually and my training involves running 3 times a week and then doing practice hikes every other week leading up to the Whitney hike. I'll start out doing a hike or two in the Bay Area where I live, and then head to either Yosemite or Kings Canyon to do longer hikes in altitude that roughly simulate the distance and vertical gain. That way I arrive at the trailhead with some confidence. The altitude affects me a great deal and is what makes Whitney so difficult, but I always suffer through it the best I can. I don't take Diamox or equivalent but I do acclimate a little by spending a night or two at either Horseshoe or the Portal.

Partly to make the upper sections of Whitney more tolerable (and perhaps even enjoyable like in the good old days) and partly because it's another challenge, I plan to do something different this year. A 3 day loop hike starting at Kings Canyon, going over 3 passes (Avalanche, Colby and Forester) only a week and a half before the Whitney day hike. If that makes Whitney "more fun", then I plan to do it annually as well, and give me confidence that even at 58 I have many more Whitney years in me. smile

bruce #44293 09/16/15 01:02 PM
B
B
I have to say that spending a night at the Mammoth Mountain Inn the night before camping at the Portal, made a big difference in the hike.

9000 feet is pretty high up to be hanging out for 18 hours, after being used to sea level. But the comfortable beds, hot water and full hotel amenities, made it possible to get a good night's sleep in spite of the altitude. Previously we had spent some hours at Horseshoe Meadows but it's nearly impossible to sleep without acclimating first to go there, so it defeats the purpose (what's the point in trading off valuable sleep for acclimazation?).

And the night before the hike I was able to sleep well for the first time in the Portal campground. I was very surprised and happy about that.

bruce #44294 09/16/15 02:45 PM
S
S
Bruce, I never sleep well the first night camping. I always attributed that to the conditions being less than my nice warm bed at home. So I always take something to help me sleep the first night -- two benadryl (diphenhydramine) tablets do it for me.

And I always wake up with really clear sinuses. grin

But you may be right about the altitude contributing to the trouble sleeping. Your recommendation sounds pretty good.

Steve C #44295 09/16/15 03:14 PM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Bruce, I never sleep well the first night camping. I always attributed that to the conditions being less than my nice warm bed at home. So I always take something to help me sleep the first night -- two benadryl (diphenhydramine) tablets do it for me.

And I always wake up with really clear sinuses. grin

But you may be right about the altitude contributing to the trouble sleeping. Your recommendation sounds pretty good.

Actually Steve the idea using the Mammoth Mountain Inn as an acclimazation alternative to a high altitude camping site came from this board, so I am thankful for that. I have always had reservations about sacrificing too much sleep (particularly the second night before the hike) for the sake of being more acclimated, and the hotel solution seems to be the answer for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard