Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Horseshoe Meadows Road opening?
#45850 04/20/16 02:53 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Anyone hear anything on the date? Is it closed too for WPR construction?

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road opening?
Snacking Bear #45851 04/20/16 03:19 PM
S
S
Inyo County Road Dept people tell me "Mid-May", and that there was some more serious damage in a recent storm, which has effectively pushed back the opening date.

Steve C #45866 04/21/16 12:34 PM
P
P
This is relevant to my interests as we're planning on taking a group of Scouts from my sons troop up to Cottonwood Lakes the weekend before Memorial Day. I figure it's as an easy trip to whet their appetites for more grand adventures in the Sierra as many of them have only done car camping trips, scout camps, and a few short backpack trips in the San Gabriels.

psykokid #45870 04/21/16 03:13 PM
S
S
Hi psyko! Taking scouts, be SURE you are aware of the signs of AMS (Altitude Sickness). A few people can wake up after a night at that elevation, and can be really hit hard. Descending to Lone Pine as quickly as possible would be the right solution.

It probably won't happen, but make sure all the leaders are aware of the possibility, and observe each and every one of the kids to make sure they aren't sitting around looking a bit "green around the gills" in the morning.

There's a woman (has been a member here) who is a scout leader in San Diego who tried a hike out of Rock Creek (above Crowley Lake), and became sick overnight. Unfortunately, the group helped her climb even higher, and, well... they were lucky something worse did not occur.

That being said, Good for You taking your kids on a High Sierra adventure! So many scouting groups skip out on the camping.

Steve C #45874 04/21/16 04:35 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Hi psyko! Taking scouts, be SURE you are aware of the signs of AMS (Altitude Sickness). A few people can wake up after a night at that elevation, and can be really hit hard. Descending to Lone Pine as quickly as possible would be the right solution.

It probably won't happen, but make sure all the leaders are aware of the possibility, and observe each and every one of the kids to make sure they aren't sitting around looking a bit "green around the gills" in the morning.

There's a woman (has been a member here) who is a scout leader in San Diego who tried a hike out of Rock Creek (above Crowley Lake), and became sick overnight. Unfortunately, the group helped her climb even higher, and, well... they were lucky something worse did not occur.

That being said, Good for You taking your kids on a High Sierra adventure! So many scouting groups skip out on the camping.

Thanks for the kind words Steve. I figure if we can get the boys out in the High Sierra just once they'll be hooked and yearning for more, as most of us here have smile. I did a solo trip up to Langley the first weekend of October last year via Cottonwood Lakes and camped on the east shore of lake 5. I showed the troop a bunch of pics that I took from my trip and they were on board. I figured since it's a relatively easy hike with a small elevation gain into the Cottonwood Lakes Basin from Horseshoe Meadows it would be a good first trip. We plan to head up Friday after school and spend the night at the walk in camp at the trail head so the boys have a little time to acclimate before heading out Saturday morning. Hopefully sleeping at altitude the first night will help but I will watch them like a hawk over the course of the weekend for signs of AMS as everyone responds to elevation differently.

It is a shame that a lot of scouting groups skip out on camping in general, let alone backpacking. Having the boys go out in a group where they share responsibility for the trip helps build teamwork and camaraderie and whets their appetites for grander adventures.

Hopefully the road to Horseshoe Meadows will be open by then, but if it's not I'm thinking that my Plan B will be to drive a bit further and hike up Big Pine Creek from the Glacier Lodge Trailhead into the numbered lakes. A bit more elevation gain but all of the boys who are going are strong hikers.

Last edited by psykokid; 04/21/16 04:42 PM.
psykokid #45875 04/21/16 04:50 PM
What's with the handles Scout leaders adopt these days? A couple of years ago, I corresponded with "Dethmarch", and met him leading a scout troop on the HST. Now psychokid? Parents must sure have a lot of confidence in these guys . . .
grin

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #45880 04/21/16 09:29 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: saltydog
What's with the handles Scout leaders adopt these days? A couple of years ago, I corresponded with "Dethmarch", and met him leading a scout troop on the HST. Now psychokid? Parents must sure have a lot of confidence in these guys . . .
grin

Haha... I've been using this username on every forum online for years. It started as my handle on IRC on EFNET back in the early 90's when I was still a kid...

Link Copied to Clipboard