Very few on the Mountain this year. Weather looking better for the weekend but was too cold for me at Trail camp so decided not to Summit this year. A day later I think would have been OK.

I made it to Trail Camp in one hit. The Trail is clear and easy to follow up to Lone Pine Lake. Days were starting clear but clouds developing quite early.
I wasted an hour trying to find the trail where Lone Pine Lake and the main trail split. I arrived at the Lake where there is a sign showing the way back to the trail but it was hard to find the route up which was covered in snow and not many footprints at the time.

Otherwise the route is quite easy to follow up to Outpost Camp. I took the main trail out the top right hand corner from there but crossed over into the snow the other side of the creek further up which gives you steady incline of snow instead of mixed granite and snow. It is a more direct route up if you don't mind the snow. The last hour to trail camp was in a blizzard and was pretty miserable but I could see enough to make progress. During the day the weather was changing so fast it was hard to stay the right temperature without constantly stopping to change clothing.

The snow stopped around midnight and with thermals, fleece and sleeping bag, I was shivering all night. My jetboil would not light due to the cold temperature. (guaranteed at 14F) the only other person I saw at trail camp was cold in a +10 Sleeping bag. I have had no problem before on similar dates. I was concerned for hypothermia by summitting and spending another night at Trail camp, so instead I decided to go down for a night at Outpost Camp. Disappointing but having done it three times before, it didn't matter. The right decision for me being solo and in my 60's. (On my way down I met a 78 years old, fit as a fiddle, hiking to Outpost Camp). The best chance of summitting would have been to make a really early start and try and get back to Trail Camp by 12pm.

Ice Axe and Crampons are highly recommended beyond Outpost. I found some steep snow inclines on the way down taking the snow route to the right of the creek and waterfall. In fact I lost my footing on one steep incline and started an uncontrolled slide. I managed to get the tip of the axe in but it was ploughing through the fresh snow. I then managed to get my foot and arm on a passing rock which halted my descent. I wasn't going that fast, so I probably would have been OK on the rocks at the bottom but I am not sure about that and I lost some skin on my elbow due friction on the snow. The next steep incline I went down backwards with the Ice Axe handle firmly embedded at every step. Much better. You don't have to take this route. There are some dangers to avoid here near the waterfall above Outpost. I was surprised to see some footprints going in a narrow patch of snow past the waterfall with a direct drop. There is obviously water passing under the snow making it unstable. I backed up when I realized where I was and when outside the big granite rock and down a couple of steep slopes into Outpost camp.

It was good experience for me. I enjoyed the blue birds that were very tame and actually landed on my knee asking for food. I had a small squirrel following me at Lone Pine Lake which chirped very loudly as I was leaving, presumably for food. I heard a bear at Outpost during the night but wasn't bothered by it. No bears at the Portal which was a first for me. I saw a few Marmots here and there in the rocks. Weather is coming right for the holiday Weekend so happy hiking. They do a good burger in the Portal shop but I opted for a rib-eye steak at the Totem Cafe in Lone Pine instead before driving home.

Mount Whitney pictures 24-27 May 2016