Here's a trip report posted on FB June 24, by Shashi Mohan Reddy Ravula

Quote:
Summited Whitney on June 19th. I must say it was not easy but was able to do it "One Step At A Time". We did it in 3 Days - camped two nights at Trail Camp. We were obviously over prepared for the mountain and gathered lots of cold gear but it turned out it was rather too hot (draining us) than cold or windy (that day). On Day 1 we started at 11:00 am carrying our 40-pound (one of us had a 50 pound one) backpack to trail camp and reached by 9 pm. Please pack light and remove unnecessary baggage (it's very difficult choice when you are doing it for the first time).

We took 3 litres of water up the chute and were able to finish it off by the time we reach the summit. This was the only thing we could have planned properly. Please take lots of water up the chute if you start late after 7 am. We are very thankful to "Sunkissed" and her group for sparing us some water on the mountain. She understood we needed it.

While descending if its past 4 pm near the chute.. Please use your crampons and go down in the zig zag routes u find down the chute. Glissading down when the ice is hard is dangerous and avoid it unless you are a pro in self-arresting. One of my friends was too eager to do it and went down the chute in a matter of minutes but had bruises all over him due to the hard ice. He would never do it again he said laugh. It was almost sunset when we came down the chute and we didn't want to go back in the dark and get lost so we stayed for another night at trail camp, helping everyone who is going to summit the next day. Every 2 in 10 people we encounter don't have the gear (ice axe and crampons) and have no idea about the conditions above trail camp. They think it's like last year.

I owe a lot to this group for the suggestions and updated weather and trail conditions. A couple of months back I posted in this group asking If we need Ice pick (ice axe) and crampons for the hike and I was not sure if I could climb this beautiful mountain. I received many comments that I shouldn't be on the mountain because I do not have enough mountaineering skills (using an ice axe and crampons) and I cannot learn them in 2 months. It was a bit discouraging and I decided to summit later when the switchbacks are open again. But I just couldn't stop there, I took some basic self-training along with my buddies learning how to use crampons and ice-axe on Mt Tallac and felt confident. I do not have any summit fever and I thought let's give it a try and at least make it to trail camp and then decide if we want to go further. We all were "noobs" and were able to do it by sticking together. My advice if you are a newbie like us please get in shape (start at least 3 months before the hike) and if you are doing this 14er in this month or the next, be sure to take ice axe and crampons (micro-spikes at least) and learn how to use them. Be prepared to go back down the mountain if things get iffy. "Summit fever" is a real decision-making problem and do not (never) attempt the summit solo.

Shared some nice pics and videos of the beautiful mountain.
Stay Safe,
Happy Hiking.

When asked about his ice axe and crampons training on Mt Tallac near Lake Tahoe, he wrote:
Quote:
We rented some gear just for the weekend we didnt even summit the mountain .. just found hill with snow pack and went up and down around 10 times . Glissading Down and arresting ourselves ..and going back up using our crampons.. we only watched several YouTube videos before practicing and yeah I wouldn't say that training was enough but we pulled it off. Fitness wise we all were ardent soccer players so we were fit to take on the mountain. Also we did some good hikes in Hawaii where we climbed around 5000 stairs in day.