Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wife not joining me
#52894 04/15/18 04:05 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hey everyone! We have won the lottery to day hike whitney on June 13th and we also just found out that my wife is pregnant. She does not wish to join me, no big deal i don't think she was that interested in such a long hike to begin with.

I wanted to know if there were any other options for outdoor activities in the area? She loves hiking, and is pretty open to alternative options. She just doesn't want to take on anything as ambitious as whitney in a day. We will be staying in Lone Pine and she wanted to stay within an hour or so, but is willing to drive further if it is worth it.

She will be 4 months pregnant at the time, so no crazy restrictions.

Keep in mind she has to get back to the portal to pick me up that evening.

Thanks!

Re: Wife not joining me
al_novice #52898 04/15/18 09:18 PM
S
S
Ummm... Are you sure she didn't get pregnant to get out of the Whitney hike? LOL!!! (completely kidding, but I just couldn't help it. grin grin grin   ) FYI, you aren't the first to post about this scenario.   Link.   And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS! (Twice: one for the baby, one for the lottery. wink )

Now to get serious: Here is the perfect place for you wife to go and chill and enjoy the Sierra: Drive north to Independence, then up into the Sierra to Onion Valley. Probably about an hour given the Whitney Portal descent and Onion Valley climb. Hike up the trail several miles to Gilbert Lake. It's only a mile straight-line from the parking lot. The Kearsarge Pass trail climbs 1200 vertical in about 2 miles and goes right past Gilbert Lake. Starts at about 9200', Gilbert is 10,400' elevation.

There is the most fantastic flat rock there, a little past/above the lake. The trail goes right by it. She could pack a book and a camp chair (maybe something for shade, too). Here's a picture from someone's blog (Onion Valley to Flower Lake)

Here's another trip report with three pictures of that same rock (including their "lunch with a view" feet):
    Hiking the Kearsarge Pass Trail

Here's a map of that trail and the lakes:

Re: Wife not joining me
Steve C #52899 04/16/18 06:23 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you, sir. Believe me, it has crossed my mind on the timing of all of this. Lol!

That hike sounds and looks perfect! You all are an amazing resource and am really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard